where can I buy valve shim set and tool?

myexonenine

True Classic
had enough of mucking around trying to get the valve shims set correct, now I just want to spend the money on the set and tool to get it over with.
I hate not being able to do things myself and this one should be easy...

I might just buy 4 of each of what Midwest have in the range I'm after... although postage works out to bout $63, so that makes them about US$3 each, oh well I guess the car is worth it...

Kangaroooos?

Hi there; I have a valve shim problem, too. I have 2 exhaust valves that need to be shimmed. I have been wonderring; here in Wisconsin USA, in spring, we have a problem with deer running accross the road. I worry abt hitting one with my X19, while zipping around the roads here. Down there in YankUrTilla, do you guys worry abt hitting a Roo on the road? If you hit one, can you claim it, cook it and eat it? Or,,, is Roo a bit tough? Do you have BarBQ parties with BarBQ Roo? Do you have a recipe for cooking Roo?
Count Jack (justa old man with a million questions):mallet:
PS; do you need a permit to hunt Roo?
PSPS; do your kids have nightmares abt being attacked by a Roo?:grin:

you need a permit to kill roo's
you can eat them, taste a bit like cow but gamier
we do hit them with our cars and its not funny
never heard of a nightmare about roo's
I'm sure if you hit one with a car you could take it home and cook it up
but I have no recopies...

Kangaroos can only be killed legally if they are causing damage, usually to crops or fencing. There's no recreational hunting, well legally anyway.

If you do hit one, the damage to your car, even with a roo bar or bull bar, is likely to be substantial. Hitting one with an X1/9 would probably put the roo through the windscreen and into your lap. And that would be interesting if it was still alive!

Back on topic...

Matt informed me the shims are the same as Volvo's mid 70's-early 90's redblock (B23, B230) SOHC setup. I bought the shim cup depressor, basically a "J" that hooks around the cam & levers the cups or buckets down so that the shim can be 'hooked' with a pic & removed. I bought mine from a Matco tool vendor, since it's a generic tool. Volvo sells all the shims individually by thickness, so if you've measured & know what you need, maybe you can get them domestically from a Volvo dealer?

hehe trust you to find another part from a Volvo to fit a X1/9! awesome :)

So what types of cars do the tools fit or are made for? I see Snap On do one for Toyota that looks similar...

You can also.....

Go to your local Ferrari dealer or independent shop, at least that's what I do. I will say it helps to an in the establishment otherwise I could see them costing $$$:shock2: My buddy lets me borrow the whole case and dial the motor to my liking.:)

If you do go this route, just make sure you use the shim set for the two valve models.
Rolf.

You might want to measure the clearances you have and the current shim height with a digital caliper or mic first. I would then order the sizes you need from Matt. You may even find you can swap them around and only need a couple.

yeah I measure them with digital vernier, and have swapped a couple around, I think I'm going to order some from Matt along with a few more of other sizes around the sizes of the ones I need.

I will have to go to town and ask around about the special tool, but I don't want to go ordering a $$$ tool if its not going to work.

yeah I measure them with digital vernier, and have swapped a couple around, I think I'm going to order some from Matt along with a few more of other sizes around the sizes of the ones I need.

I will have to go to town and ask around about the special tool, but I don't want to go ordering a $$$ tool if its not going to work.

good luck, around here people don't even know what Fiat's are. That tool is very special / specific to fiat.

Matt from Midwest-Bayless is helping me out :D

It will be good to have a tool and shims to help other's out in my area of the world... And I'd be glad to help them do the job aswell, as I now know what is involved when you don't have a tool and shim kit.

Back