Where is the ICM drain hole?

it_mike

True Classic
OK, so the RH pod where the stock ICM is housed fills with water. I'm trying to clear every out but can't find the drain hole.

Any pics or detailed descriptions of it's location?

Thanks,
Mike

It's hard to see when the ICM is mounted. There is supposed to be a hose mounted under that bucket that drains water to the underside of the car. This usually gets clogged. Use the other side o the car for reference. They're almost mirror images of each other. Just a tiny dime sized hole at bottom of the bucket. Or a bigger rusted hole!! :)

Here's what mine looked like after removing the black plastic cover and the ICM:

IMG_0788.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0789.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Letting the POR rust treatment soak in after a good sanding/wire wheeling to get the surface rust off:

IMG_0793.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Applied the POR-15 black coating to the hole area as well as the seams, let cure for a couple of days, then a nice heavy brush application of automotive paint that is a few shades off:

IMG_0803.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Then used this custom mix paint from a local auto paint supply to spray on a pretty closely matching final color coat:

Usually Mike you can just poke through any sealer...

like on Dan's and it will be fine without going to all the trouble that he did. Unfortunately... If your car is not from the Southwest it usually has a bit of rust in there. Some have become "extra cooling vents"... in which case you can install a new hose and encapsulate with Fiberglass or go over the top and do it "right" by replacing the panel with steel.

On a fellow Xer's car here many moons ago I found that his Q-panel had been replaced and the entire drain area had been welded up solid! (This after finding a water soaked ICM that only failed once you got more that 25 miles from home... and then would work fine again!)

Since it never rains here... we just punched a hole in the bottom near where the original would have been... and then just sprayed some paint down there... not worrying that it was the correct BLACK... and some undercoating up underneath.

So... you have many options... enjoy!

Back