Which would be the best engine Set up for Autocross and Street

mike3487

1980 X
I was wondering what would be the most recommended Carb/Cam combo for autocross use while maintaining at least some street-ability, Currently I have a Mild ported and polished head that has been decked as well, how much exactly I dont know, I have a 42/82 Cam from Vicks and dual DCNF 40's. with this set up the power band is really high and the car boggs down low, So my question is which cam 35/75 38/78 40/80 or 42/82 would be best and would the 34DATR be better than the twin 40's I already own the 34DATR also so switching is not that big of a deal.

engine setup

i would try a lightened flywheel. the engine in the x1/9 is oversquare and is really bad for producing power at low rpm's the flywheel would help get the rpm's higher faster but i would keep the dcnf's on there

It also depends on which class you wanna run in...

Stock or modified...

And running a Street/Strip car or a Street/Track car is always a compromise... of both.

With this engine it probably could sneak by in Stock classes and do WELL with the DMTR 34... and although a screamer with the duals, it probably would not be enough to do well in the modified classes.

As my son said once... "In Autocross racing... nobody cares what yur running... until you start winning!"

HA!

I have a 1500 that I rebuilt with 1300 oversize pistons and had balanced. then put a BV head on it with a pbs B-3 cam and stock FI intake manifold and injectors being run by megasquirt. I think as far as X engines go.... this is the ultimate auto-x engine. still tweaking it a bit but it has crzy torque for a 1.5l that comes in hard around 3k rpm. I am also running lighened flywheel.
Never was expecting a oversquare engine this small could make this kind of torque. My buddies vw scorroco 1.8l can't keep up with me out of the turns when we're road racing.... and his cr is caged and a full out race car. I'll pull something like 5-6 car lengths away from him coming out of a turn. now thats torque... and strange enough to say... my transaxle is destroyed after that raceing fun too. lol

Stock or modified...

And running a Street/Strip car or a Street/Track car is always a compromise... of both.

With this engine it probably could sneak by in Stock classes and do WELL with the DMTR 34... and although a screamer with the duals, it probably would not be enough to do well in the modified classes.

As my son said once... "In Autocross racing... nobody cares what yur running... until you start winning!"

HA!

Well with the ported head and the Exhaust manifold i have wouldnt that take me out of stock already? I also have a spare block sitting around that was bored out to 87mm but one of the pistons is shot, In the future i hoped to do something with that

I would imagine so... but ya really need to...

... join SCCA and get a copy of the rules and build accordingly.

The BVH and a lot of internal mods you could probably get away with until ya got to division finals or something... but anything obvious like duals or even a header may bump you UP into the LOWER end of a HIGHER class.

Usually, racers care about winning... but if you don't, and just wanna have fun, then it doesn't matter what ya do. You can just race against yourself and better your own times... kinda like most of us play GOLF!

Have fun...

I plan o racing just to improve on my own times for the next few years untll im out of school Which cam is the best option

What size venturis do you have in your 40dcnf's?

Standard with the carb is generally a 32mm, try some 28 venturis, this will almost certainly improve the low rpm pickup. Most likely the problem you have at the moment is slow air speed. Smaller chokes will limit the very top end performance, but you pick up a lot in the lower rev range.

SteveC

Back