Who do you guys get your insurance through?

Zona

Jase
I tried to go through Progressive but she said they wouldn't insure my car because they wouldn't know what value to place on it. She said I am unlikely to get any major insurance company to insure it so before I bust my ass to no avail who do you guys use?

that is a load of hooey.

I have had Alstate, Farmers, and am currently with State Farm. I have had quotes from Geico and Progressive. I think the agent you went to needs to double check his computer.

If it's not a daily driver...

I tried to go through Progressive but she said they wouldn't insure my car because they wouldn't know what value to place on it. She said I am unlikely to get any major insurance company to insure it so before I bust my ass to no avail who do you guys use?

Go with collector car insurance from Hagarty or similar. It's full coverage, dirt cheap, and with surprisingly few restrictions. They do require you have a "normal" car for a daily driver, insured through another large insurance company, and they require some photos to get the policy started. The car must also be kept in a locked garage when not in use. It's an "agreed value" policy, so tell them how much you think your car would cost to replace, and your premium will be calculated from that.

My Scorpion is a $6k agreed value policy, and it costs about $142 a year. Yeah, you read that right....:grin:

Pete

Use classic car insurance

I am using a company up here in Canada that specializes in classic car insurance. $10,000 appraised value for $130 per year.

We use Nationwide, as it replaced my daily driver, although I do not use it as such. We have collision on it just like the rest of our cars. Time for a new agent.

Collector car insurance fine print

Just my 2 cents but I think you should read the fine print on the policy. Here is a quote from the Haggarty Insurance site:
"Usage:
Hagerty provides coverage for collector vehicles that are used on a limited basis — e.g. club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours and limited pleasure driving. "
When you cannot prove you were on your way to a collector car function your claim will be denied. If your mileage indicates regular driving, your insurance is void.
The sales staff are very friendly but the claims folks have one job, cost containment. The cost to litigate or even argue these points always makes the consumer the loser in this deal.
Bob T.

Well you didn't really specify, are you looking for full coverage of liability? If you want full coverage you likely will have to go thru a collector car insurance company but if its just liability you want to get you on the road then any insurance company will give you that, my liability is thru progressive and its around 20 a month.

I have my cars with Hagerty. I think the key term is " limited driving pleasure". I believe I have mine for 2k miles per yr...I don't even come close.

Well... I consider "garage" a verb... not a noun...

... as in "My car is garaged at 20842 Benz Road." (hehehe!)

Sometimes its even IN the garage, other times next to it...

When I purchased a collector car policy for my Vette through AAA they came and photographed the car IN the garage... and when I purchased collector car insurance from Grundy, I did the same for the Fiat and sent photos to them!

I went through AAA for the Vette as it became a second car on my DD policy with the only restriction being that is was not a go to work DD. That policy had all the bells and whistles, 100, 300 Liability, ZERO deductable for Comp and Collision, $5000 Medical, Uninsured Motorists... I think that's it. Oh, and an agreed upon value for total loss * $32,000. Premium of $202.00 a YEAR! But it reduced my entire bill about $30 a year! AMAZING!

The Fiat has been increasing in agreed upon value by $500 a year now, year after year to $8500 this year and carries all the same covrerages... and I pay $91.00 a year for that car to Grundy. (Up from te original $84.00) Grundy requires no one under 27 drive the car though... Only real difference and they do not have the travel restrictions that Hagarty and others do.

Do shop around... I know State Farm has Collector policies and so does Taylor. Just make some calls and get some quotes... find the policy, even WITH restrictions... that works best for you.

I plan on getting at least 5-7k a year out of mine (I'll be driving it every day weather permitting) I went on Nationwide's site and they had it listed for as low as $30 a month, $46 for the plan I would want. I'll be giving them a call tonight, they don't do the competitor comparison that Progressive does do they?

I have Hagerty's

On the policy I crafted I am allowed 5,000 miles a year, of "for pleasure driving". I am allowed to go to car shows, other events, and am allowed to just go out for a drive, do errands etc as long as I don't go over 5k a year. After 9 months I have put 2500 miles on the car, so I am doing well. I am not allowed to drive it back and forth to work. I have to keep it in a locked garage, and did have to send photos.

I think I have $ 10,000 valuation for $ 130 a year, with towing.

I can't even get collector car insurance... I'm stuck paying about $160ish a month. Both my daily and my X are setup on my policy as pleasure cars and my broker(s) know my GTI gets driven to work daily... :huh2:

Altogether I pay about $460 a month for a 2010 VW GTI and my X1/9. Only the GTI has full coverage. The X1/9 is PLPD (basic liability) with Comprehensive.

WOW

I forgot about that clause in the Hagerty contract. I've just kept them as I changed cars. This is a timely thread since my policy comes up in Aug. Guess I'll check out Grundy...

BrianM

My 74' is currently with Hagerty as with the 4 other "vintage cars". Limited mileage is not really an issue for us as with 6 cars in the fleet and two drivers, it's already enough of a problem just to drive all of them at least once a week.

Adding the 74' with an agreed value of $8K, cost an extra $30.00 per year. Or, about $170 to insure the scopriacarlo and X1/9.

Bernice

I have my cars with Hagerty. I think the key term is " limited driving pleasure". I believe I have mine for 2k miles per yr...I don't even come close.

I don't think I quite meet the AARP "standards" yet... though retirement does sound pretty sweet right about now.

I can't even get collector car insurance... I'm stuck paying about $160ish a month. Both my daily and my X are setup on my policy as pleasure cars and my broker(s) know my GTI gets driven to work daily... :huh2:

Altogether I pay about $460 a month for a 2010 VW GTI and my X1/9. Only the GTI has full coverage. The X1/9 is PLPD (basic liability) with Comprehensive.

try this
http://www.competition.ca/
they have an office in Edmonton
the silver wheel plan which is really aviva insurance

I have Country Companies and pay about $118 per year for "antique vehicle" status. No mention was made of the car's value, or how much I would use it, etc. Of course I have 2 other drivers and 3 other cars all insured with the same outfit as well as my home owners and life insurance. I assume I get some kind of discount. My attitude about car insurance is that since the government requires me to buy it, I'll get the cheapest stuff possible to be legal (on the FIAT). Money wouldn't replace it so I just won't hit anything!:grin:

Back