Why FIAT works...

Thanks Greg... Mr. Nardelli reminds me of former CEO...

... Lee Iaccoca back in the 80's... teaming with Maserati and the likes and encouraging us to BUY AMERICAN... Like the New Yorker with a Mitsubishi designed V-6 assembled in Mexico and installed in the chassis in a Canadian plant.

HA!

But I do tend to be impressed with some of Bob Nardelli's comments about the global stepping stones and also the overall improvement in mileage too. I welcome the alliance... but then again, my last name ends in a vowel also!

I also want one of those little 500s... ABARTH-ed, PLEASE!

Don't quite understand...

how no taxpayer money is going to Fiat but yet the whole deal hinges on the 6 billion dollars the government is going to pony up to help these two down the aisle. Also if Chrysler is 'viable' as Nardelli says, why is everyone talking bankruptcy court the last week. And Fiat's bonds were dropped to 'junk' status yesterday.

It's a very nice commercial and I hope it does work out, but....:sigh:

This is funny, People that would buy Fiat 500's would want a Fiat 500, not some ugly micro car like the Aveo or Yaris. The Fiat 500 and MINI work because they are good looking cars, I can't think of a Chrysler that I would buy, not only because they rattle apart, but because they are just ugly. So what about the synergy that Chrysler had with Mercedes, they got tons of platforms, engines, and infused with cash...and that lead them to where they are today. I fail to see how this will work. Where is the synergy from Chrysler & Mitsubishi?

I think synergy...

is what executives say when they don't know what else to say. Your points are all well taken.

I would just rather have all current European cars that meet EU emission and safety standards green flagged for entry into the US and then see how everybody likes a truly free market. I would like it fine in this instance.

As far as GM &Chrysler- send 'em to court and let the chips fall. They are gonna fall anyway and would relieve everyone of the need to reconcile the dilemma of the government giving them money and then getting accused of either being too involved or not involved enough. There is no good answer for this one except the obvious which is 'sink or swim'. Cars will be built and folks will buy some of them what does it really matter what name is on them?

fascinating

I've never much enjoyed corporate pitch presentations but this one is "relevant to my interests" ;) thanks for sharing it!

on Chrysler

The Fiat 500 and MINI work because they are good looking cars, I can't think of a Chrysler that I would buy, not only because they rattle apart, but because they are just ugly.
I don't know, I like the big car designs from Chrysler; 300, magnum, charger, challenger even the minivan is very decent looking. Sorry to see tight designs have not been able to save the company. I don't know whether they rattle more than other cars...

So what about the synergy that Chrysler had with Mercedes, they got tons of platforms, engines, and infused with cash...and that lead them to where they are today.
I wondered about that too. Chrysler forums only complain about how quality went down in the mercedes era

I don't know, I like the big car designs from Chrysler; 300, magnum, charger, challenger even the minivan is very decent looking. Sorry to see tight designs have not been able to save the company. I don't know whether they rattle more than other cars...

I wondered about that too. Chrysler forums only complain about how quality went down in the mercedes era

Yeah but they did sell a number of Chargers, 500's, Challengers, etc... but they are all years old with no updates. Today you need a fresh design every 3-5 years... not every 10

I agree with the "let the chips fall where they may" mentality. I have been against the whole bail out thing from the go.
However, If when the Fiat deal goes through, and Chrysler eventually fails, at least we will have Fiat here again!
I would LOVE to get my hands on that 500! Abarth or not.

Back