Why I like x-heads and this forum

autox19

True Classic
so I am looking to do an engine swap. I just found a mitsu eclipse turbo. after leaving 5-6 messages on 5-6 forums about wanting the dimensions of the engine and trans, no replies in several days!

I bet if I asked here for the same info on an x engine and trans, I would have it in hours..

Thank you friends!

odie

Welcome

Hey man....welcome to the forum.

It's very likely that your requested information already exists in some form on here. If not, an answer will be forthcoming shortly. Many on here have done swaps. I don't think anyone has done an Eclipse swap.....so you know what that means.

Please post pictures and write-ups of your progress so it will become a part of the information. This is very likey the most exhaustive repository of things X1/9 on the web, so your questions and contributions will have a good home.

Now get busy posting those pictures.

welcome odie, funny i thought about doing that but =went a differnt route. had a 95 turbo eclipse. sold it to get two honda swaps. for a while i couldnt sell it and almost just took it apart to put in the x. that was one fast car, i could just imagine how much fun that would be in an x. theres a website that has tons of good info on that driveline, as far as tuning and modfyiong for power. i found that site extremely helpful when i was rebuilding the turbo engine. ill post the site name when i remember it tommrow.

welcome odie, funny i thought about doing that but =went a differnt route. had a 95 turbo eclipse. sold it to get two honda swaps. for a while i couldnt sell it and almost just took it apart to put in the x. that was one fast car, i could just imagine how much fun that would be in an x. theres a website that has tons of good info on that driveline, as far as tuning and modfyiong for power. i found that site extremely helpful when i was rebuilding the turbo engine. ill post the site name when i remember it tommrow.

could you be thinking of http://www.dsmtuners.com/sub.php?page=tech ?

There is a very big aftermarket tuning scene dedicated to those motors, I had several friends back in san jose with extremely fast AWD Eclipses and Talons.

dsm tuners

that is one of the sites I posted the question on. still no response as of yet.
what i love about the people here, is we are all so passionate, that if i would have asked for the length of the engine/tranny. I bet I would have had at least 3 people doing it in a few hours. Maybe we have more engine/trannnys pulled and can do it faster.
My fear right now is a junkyard told me its "about 37 inches" I couldnt make it out there myself and I dont know if that is correct. If it is, it is not goin to fin in th X well.

odie

the eclipse turbo unit is rather hefty. I doubt it would fit in the back of the X without having it do some cutting, either the same as or more then the twincam fiat motors.

What you should do is call up a place that sells front clips and has them on hand (some buy the clip only when you order it) have them measure it.

good idea!

I just sent the question out to 3 JDM suppliers.
I am not worrying about some cutting fore and aft, but cutting the framerails if it is too wide I am not comfortable with. I was planning on the honda swap, but the $$ wasnt there. I am getting the whole mitsu for $800. (if I decide it can fit)

Odie

they were a bit anal on that site. they werent about helping you out or sharing knowledge. if you asked a question that someone asked in the past , they would frown on you. they pissed me off constantly, and i vented and let them know what i thought about the way they did things.

some people dont get it.

that is pretty much the response I get from them. I apparently did ask the same question 4 years ago. but amazing, they never did answer it fully.

It is why everynow and then I must thank the users here. I am a proud member not because I own an X19, but becaus eI am part of a group that really loves these cares and will do anything to help others.
Cases in point.

Steve H. How many champions out there not only will help you with your car, but will tell you exactly how he built his winning car!

I was given a BEAUTIFUL fully detailed powerpoint on how to install a b16a into an X. It is the one I converted and posted (http://autox19.com/b16)

We not only take pride in our work, but dont hoard this info. Most "other" people I have dealt with seems to like the attitude of "why shoulld tell you how to be cool like me"

again I love the people here!!

odie

oh, and so far it seems that the mitsu is ~37 inches, so the swap isnt likely.

I agree

I love this board as well :) The peeps on here are over the top helpfull. I'm probably one of the n00best guys you'll run across when it comes to cars (mechanically speaking). I know as much about car mechanics as I do atomic fission (although I did make a nuclear device out of a pine cone and Wrigleys Spearmint gum wrapper once....but that's another story :dunce:). Not to mention all my questions have been answered superbly.

One Big Italian Family...

Is really what X web is like. Folks here are passionate about this car and it says much about the X web folks.

yes , this is the best forum that i come across and you guys make me feel at home ! and always answer my questions !

thank you all :)

Phil

Back