Why I needed a trunk pan

Chris in Canada

True Classic
A906732D-F1D0-4E1B-9A75-0267052347B1.jpeg
64C7E060-B7EE-4877-A35C-DCA26B6451BC.jpeg

Pretty typical for a lot of these cars. I will be replacing the one on my ‘79 that rusted out 30 years ago. The body shop that did the work used a sheet of corrugated galvanized siding to replace it. It worked but has always bugged me. I bought one of the Eurosport ones and it looks just like the factory ones.
I just ordered the same one!! And the lower fender ones as well!

I have always believed that the insulation above the pan and below the trunk floor captures moisture and that's why this piece rusts out. Lift the trunk floor, remove the insulation, carry the beer around in the front trunk.

Or cut the damn thing out and just use the removable trunk floor. I have to admit though, I don't carry anything back there.

Or cut the damn thing out and just use the removable trunk floor. I have to admit though, I don't carry anything back there.

On my '85 I have not seen the underside, but from the top it looks like it's just starting to go. The fiberglass that was on top of it was soaked.

Attachments

• 20190219_155004.jpg
    20190219_155004.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 57
By modern standards that looks pretty good! Don't forget, there is some sort of insulation in the muffler bay that is on the bottom side of that panel.

Back