Will I agree to a short term deal? No! No! No! yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColonelHaiku

True Classic
'Only 10 days ago, President Barack Obama appeared in the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House and drew an uncompromising line in the sand on negotiations to raise the United States’ borrowing limit.
“The things that I will not consider are a 30-day or a 60-day or a 90-day or a 180-day temporary stopgap resolution to this problem,” Mr. Obama said. “This is the United States of America, and we don’t manage our affairs in three-month increments.”

Except, of course, when it does.

Mr. Obama signaled Wednesday he is prepared to backtrack on his earlier vow to reject any short-term agreement to raise the debt ceiling, acknowledging lawmakers now have so little time to strike a more ambitious “grand bargain” that an emergency stop gap measure may be the only option remaining.'

http://business.financialpost.com/2...ort-term-debt-increase-with-strings-attached/

Don’t call his bluff!

Hardly surprising that nothing gets achieved when you have admissions like this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXahlA8CTB4"]‪Sen. McConnell - Making Obama A One-Term President Is My Single Most Important Political Goal [CLIP]‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Yep, that is the whole ball of wax...

right there as far as the GOP leadership is concerned. Take that reality on board and everything that is being done makes great and clear sense.

McConnell... meh

A short-term deal? That was what the whole entire issue was when President Obama started screaming at Eric Cantor, threw his shoe and ran out of the room the other day.

Now that he's blinked, I wonder if he's called Eric Cantor to apologize?

Nah!

The time to call this president's bluff is November, 2012.

There isn't anything wrong with CCB

until you get down to what is cut, where it is capped and how it is actually balanced.

Do you really believe that 2/3 of Americans even know what a Constitutional Amendment process is, or the significance of the 18% of GDP (or for that matter what GDP is) or that the GOP plan is-as advertised-all cuts and no new taxes (consdering other polls show a super majority in favor of a part cuts/part tax solution)? I kinda doubt it. If the electorate exhibited even this minimal amount of basic knowledge I doubt we would ever have gotten into the mess we are in.
Even I'm in favor of CCB-but not on the basis the GOP is proposing.

I don't presume we are a nation of rubes...

but we have put ourselves in this position because we seemingly have a penchant for electing/re-electing politicians who dole out treats and have used that strategy to ensure their continued hold on power. I say we need to rid ourselves of the type of politician that promotes and exploits the American peoples' addiction to voting themselves gifts from the U.S. Treasury. That path is the road to ruin.

We also need to ensure shared sacrifice by making sure every adult pays federal income tax... no more of this approx. 47% not paying any.

There have been several polls over the last several months and they all say the American electorate would like to see a balanced budget amendment. I'm curious to see if you can point me to one Democrat that has made a "balanced budget" proposal at a national level in the last half century... just one.

Last edited:
but we have put ourselves in this position because we seemingly have a penchant for electing/re-electing politicians who dole out treats and have used that strategy to ensure their continued hold on power. I say we need to rid ourselves of the type of politician that promotes and exploits the American peoples' addiction to voting themselves gifts from the U.S. Treasury. That path is the road to ruin.

"I do not know if the people of the United States would vote for superior men if they ran for office, but there can be no doubt that such men do not run."

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

-Alexis de Tocqueville

Two excellent observations I would say.

So the people who elect...

and re-elect these politicians to hand out goodies are somehow going to have an epiphany and rid us of these troublesome so-n-sos? How does that work? Or are they to be eliminated by something other than the ballot box? I can't understand how your proposal can possibly flow from your premiss. You are depending on the people who caused the problem to now do volte face and become what you want them to become. How much are you going to pay this mercenary lot to do that?

What kind of proposal , of what at the national level? Just any old thing? Well let's see here- Health Reform, The Great Society, Medicare-I have a feeling that's not what you mean though, is it.
Oh, there was the Equal Rights Amendment for women-no doubt that is not what you meant either. Just what do you mean?

Let's get serious-you want the conservative wing of some national party to control the country top to bottom. Goody for you. It won't happen without a repression of democracy. People will vote what they think is in their best interests, irrespective of what might actually be in their best interests. That right can't be taken away from them just because they make mistakes. This is what political freedom looks like. Saying that such-and-such MUST be done is just plain pointless under a broad democracy. The only thing that MUST be done is what is hashed out and becomes law.

curses

Senate votes 51 to 46 to table HR 2560 (CCB). It will not come to the floor for debate or a vote. This vote is in clear rejection of the preferences of an overwhelming majority of Americans.

Senator Harry Reid is already calling for discussions on raising taxes, borrowing more money, and continuing THE Big Spend.

I have a feeling, for some reason, that the Democrats are going to lose this debate badly. It won't be for lack the the GOP trying lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back