@$&$&@*!!! Window regulator install

autox19

True Classic
So my window (1979 manual) window stopped wanting to go up or down. No crank movement. I boughta new regulator and when i got it on it not only was hard to crank it made a terrible sound like the cables were crunching in the machanism. I have tried reinstilling multiple times and same result. Any words of wisdom?

Odie

First thing to do is easiest: slack the clamps that hold the cables to the window and see if the cable runs more freely. If it does reposition the window to be properly aligned in its channels and try again.

But if the problem is in the regulator and cables.... Rubbing and tangles inside the regulator is the most common cause. The cables have to be wound evenly on the regulator shaft, in a neat one-layer wrapping with each turn lying smoothly next to but not over its neighbor, but if you are not very careful diring the install they will get loose.

Other possibilities are less likely because you would have noticed them during the install include misrouted cables, a bad pulley, or something stopping the window from moving freely.

First thing to do is easiest: slack the clamps that hold the cables to the window and see if the cable runs more freely. If it does reposition the window to be properly aligned in its channels and try again.

But if the problem is in the regulator and cables.... Rubbing and tangles inside the regulator is the most common cause. The cables have to be wound evenly on the regulator shaft, in a neat one-layer wrapping with each turn lying smoothly next to but not over its neighbor, but if you are not very careful diring the install they will get loose.

Other possibilities are less likely because you would have noticed them during the install include misrouted cables, a bad pulley, or something stopping the window from moving freely.
I just bought it and looks like i got a dud. Sure enough the cables are all over the place. Including crossing each other. It looks like the ends of the cables are not like the stock ones and cant come out. If i do get it out, how many turns does each get? Or how long of cable is out of the pully

Odie

Love this forum and our vendors. In true fiat fashion. Part "a" fits almost all. Looks like left and right are swapped in some year/builds. Getting the other side on its way and will just do both.

Odie

Attachments

• 20201009_185349.jpg
    20201009_185349.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 20201009_185001.jpg
    20201009_185001.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 126
I just bought it and looks like i got a dud. Sure enough the cables are all over the place. Including crossing each other. It looks like the ends of the cables are not like the stock ones and cant come out. If i do get it out, how many turns does each get? Or how long of cable is out of the pully
Not a dud, it's just that if you ever let the cable get the least bit of slack it will go SPROING into the most appalling horrible birds-nest. Fixing this isn't hard but it takes a bit of patience. The two threads you want are:

thanks for the links. what I have now using the old one is it is all the way to the end of the cable for one side, and the other is neatly, non tangled going across the gooves and I taped it. I see where the cable must have hit the teeth and is bent. I am goin to try to straighten that out as much as possible before reinstalling the old one. if i cant get the kinks out of the cable I will contact midwest and see what to do from here.

Odie

from midwest

X1/9 window regulators can be a real pain. They changed the position of the pulleys, and the orientation of the winders in the doors toward the end of 1977. So one set have a shorter wire

If your car has had doors swapped, sometimes you can be trying to install a left side unit in the right side door or vice versa.

Did Xweb shed any light on the issue?

Also, do you still have your old regulator? Can you hang the unit over a hook and look at the orientation of the wires coming out of it and which direction that it points with the drive spindle outward? There are left facing and right facing units.

_______ end from Midwest________

here is the picture I sent them back.
20201009_185349.png

old is on the left, new is on the right. left(Us Drivers side) the package was labeled the same.

Odie

Thanks, I did not realize there are two versions (early and late) of them - aside from left and right.

Thanks, I did not realize there are two versions (early and late) of them - aside from left and right.
I didnt either. the issue is I dont see any thing out of the ordinary that would say this was an swapped door. it is the original color (the car was gold originally, dont know when it was changed) the doors show the gold.

hopefiully the old one will still work.
Odie

I didnt either. the issue is I dont see any thing out of the ordinary that would say this was an swapped door. it is the original color (the car was gold originally, dont know when it was changed) the doors show the gold.

hopefiully the old one will still work.
Odie
Would it be normal for there to be some dead-travel play in the regulator? For example, mine winds/moves 3/4” before making contact and moving the window. Is that just wear and tear, or can they be tightened up a bit?

according to this thread there should be no slack

Odie

@tvmaster, my guess is both the extra play and the increased resistance you are finding (to lift the window) are the result of worn out regulator.

@tvmaster, my guess is both the extra play and the increased resistance you are finding (to lift the window) are the result of worn out regulator.
OK. Essentially, the handle turns about 3/4 inch before grabbing and moving the window. I have a spare regulator from a 1981 door, but I'm not sure this is the kind of thing I'm ready to attack at this point. Very tight work area in these doors

Is that before it starts moving the window or starts moving the cable?
Don’t those two things happen at the same time? Ok, the cables and window move together. Actually, the arm moves closer to two inches before engaging movement. Photo left is start, photo right is where cable/window movement begins.

5A0325EB-7B8B-4F5E-8C60-C0EB9F4DE6B6.jpeg
B4E7047A-80FE-4908-BB72-158DA95FAB2F.jpeg

Last edited:
Ya, that's not as much movement as it sounded. But it still looks like there's some wear to me. However if it is working fine then wait until things get bad before digging into it. But if the window is really difficult to roll up then it will wear out faster than it should.

Is it possible to take the regulator's apart and adjust / shorten the cable length? Mine are winding too much cable on the take-up spool and binding.

I think they are the wrong year.

Thanks everyone.

Back