Windscreen technical question

DougESmith

True Classic
I have purchased a new windscreen. Upon inspecting it after delivery I noticed around the edge there is some delamination. I took the best pictures I could but it is had to capture digitally.

Questions are,
Is this normal?
Is it safe to install?
Will it get worse with time?

Thanks in advice for your opinions!

4226691912_4f21755b88_b_d.jpg

4226694622_2d57e8c0f8_b_d.jpg

4226693276_c6081184df_b_d.jpg

4226690416_fb04c8fe6d_b_d.jpg

4226688740_e73aa68320_b_d.jpg

4226687324_5d582bcdfb_b_d.jpg

4226685878_f8a712dea8_b_d.jpg

4226682662_028e776354_b_d.jpg

4226691912_021a5c8c6e_o_d.jpg

Your pictures are good

Is it normal? Not with new, yes with old.
Is it safe to install? Absolutely.
Will it get worse? Yep, over time it'll likely get worse.

My question....
Will your trim piece cover it up? If yes, don't worry about it. If no, get a replacement.

My opinion.

Will this work????

Way out of left field here and beyond my pay grade, yet I take the plunge anyway...:fart:

How about using windshield glass chip repair kits.

Just a thought; don't shoot the messenger, just the message.

Larry

When you say new...

... it appears to be NEW to you, or New Old Stock, (NOS) probably.

Depending on what you paid... if it is indeed NEW, then this delamination is not really satisfactory, as with what Bob said, eventually it will deteriate and show some more.

With shipping costing a bit nowadays... and whether or not the supplier has anything better, could be a factor in your negotiations... but it sure would not hurt to ask.

Depending on your usage and storage, the delamination may take 10 years if ever to show also...

Lots of variables here... and probably no WRONG answers... Good luck with your choice.

If I was stuck with this.

I would inject a sealer and clamp the area to squeeze out the sealer and stop the delamination. Yes a bit of fussing about but since it is out of the car it can be repaired. What ever you do, do not install it as it is, as water will migrate between the panes and cloud the glass.

TonyK Grimsby Ontario Canada

Good advice...

Also, you might consider asking what a windshield place would recommend. They've probably seen it all.

I would just run my finger around the entire thing with some quality sealer so as to seal against any more moisture ingress before installing.
I would then not worry about it ever!

Its more serious a problem if its turning milky white.

A decent glass shop can fix

the delamination pretty easily. Bring it to a place that fixes star cracks and the like. I'm relatively certain they can make it right, but it'll likely cost you about half the value of the window.... :(

Thanks for all of your input

I am crossposting on a windshield forum and will let you all now what i hear from them

Answers from an Experienced Master Tech

Questions are,
Is this normal? Not at all
Is it safe to install? No, not so much
Will it get worse with time? Yes, that is likely, even if steps are taken to attempt preventing it

As Bob said, a good glass shop can inject resin and seal the edges but to get the resin to travel that far into the voids without leaving any air pockets would be very challenging. Not saying it can't be done but it would not be cheap and there would be no guarantee that it would not delaminate any further. By that, I mean I could not imagine any glass shop would offer to replace it if it did delaminate any further. There is just no way to know the condition of the area immediately surrounding the areas that are already delaminated.

It's a lot to cover as to exactly why it's not the same operation as filling a crack where the resin is used to bond glass to glass, but trust me it's not. Not bragging here, but I am an expert at cutting laminated glass for all kinds of applications and the part that is most difficult is (after matching lines are cut and the glass is cracked along a curved line) cutting the vinyl without stretching it and causing delamination. Glass breaks very easily in areas where it's delaminated at the edges. Long story short, the vinyl helps maintain the integrity of the glass, anywhere it is delaminated it is more likely to "stress crack" when the vehicle takes a jolt from a pothole or even a slammed door. And that's not the worst part. In an accident the glass could fail to the point that it comes out. I've seen the result of this first hand. Not good

Let me put it this way, as a professional installer the safety of your vehicle is my number one concern. So is this safe? Not really. Again the full explanation of why and how is really detailed and way too long for a glacially paced typist.

Bottom Line, if I went to a Glass wholesaler to pick up that windshield there is no way I'd accept it unless it was the ONLY one and your windshield was smashed. And, in that case I sure would not pay anywhere near full price. I can't imagine shipping something like that without fully disclosing it's condition. That's bad business bordering on negligent. Even if they did not know the potential issues with installing this glass, I think they should have. This is a safety issue that could have serious consequences for them. If you need me to write them an explanation of why I would not put this glass in their car, maybe that will help you recover some of your cost.

I know you already bought it, but even if you can't recover one dime of that money I still would not install it. Instead I'd see if you can find a local shop that can get you an FYG windshield. They buy them for about 90 bucks. Anything less than 175 "retail" with a receipt is a good deal. Anything around 125 with a receipt is an excellent deal. I say "with a receipt" because by law if it is a "second" or "cosmetic blemish" they are required to notify you in writing at the time of purchase.

Try pilkington, mygrant or ppg or call a small shop...just make sure to specify the FYG brand and in no case should you get the PPG glass - they do not fit well enough to be installed safely IMPO (professional)

You can call me at 480-250-3142 if you have any other Q's

Tommy

Last edited:
I had an FYG installed yesterday.

I can attest to the quality and fit. The install went well but it was a PITA to remove the old one. I now understand why it is so difficult to remove thes windshields without cracking them. There is just no room to get the knife through. The installer ended up using a flat powered knife from the inside that did a good job of cutting the urethane.

Not sure where the windshield originated but it only took them a day to find it and I had specified FYG. This was an insurance job and I believe they were going to be billed $400.

Bob.

Also, you might consider asking what a windshield place would recommend. They've probably seen it all.
X2 dont try to fixit yourself. Ask the glass place or whoever you bought it from and see what they say. if they wont exchange/refund/fix then you might wanna DIY

That sounds about right

for an insurance job. If you were paying cash they might have cut it to 300 to 325 just to get some work, if they were slow.

So they used an extractor eh. That's gutsy on an X. Not much margin for error at all. In the hands of a skilled operator that glass can be removed in a mater of minutes. In the hand of an unskilled operator it can do MAJOR damage to the dash and the pinch-weld. To use one on an X1/9 one had better be very good with it. Sounds like your guy was.

Curious as to whether they had to remove the inner liner and remove all the old butyl, or was your old windshield glued in with urethane. If it was glued in, did they just angle cut the old urethane (using a u-shaped blade). That is the way I would do one that has been previously installed with urethane. Just curious

Glad it went well and that I could help you in some way.

T

It was an original urethane job.

The car is an 87 so it was originally set in urethane. The installer that did the job was a 40 year veteran. He said the shop sends him out on all the unknown jobs.

He actually used a small power knife on the top and sides that burned the urethane with a vibrating action. It was just for the bottom that he used the big flat bladed sawzall type knife.

He did not remove the inner rubber since he said it would only stretch it out if he tried to remove. He angle cut back the old urethane to create a new cavity for the new urethane. He also applied an activator prior to laying the bead of new stuff.

Bob.

Back