Windshield alternative for Scorpion?

Pete Whitstone

True Classic
I saw a post on a FB group for 037 builds that a guy was going to build one, but use a "Jetta Mark 2" windshield, which he described as "surprisingly close to the Montecarlo windshield". He was in Europe somewhere, so Mark 2 may not translate exactly, but here in the US that would be Jettas from 84 to 91. A whole bunch of other VWs also share this windshield, according to my research.

The windshields for these cars go for like $200. For that kind of price, I'm very curious just how close they are. Does anyone out there have access to a VW from this era, and could maybe take some simple measurements?

So now you tell me :)

Well that will be interesting if that ends up being true. I know on my 77, the windshield is slightly smaller and it has the trim piece that I am told was used on the windshields because the replacement windshields at the time were smaller than stock. On the new windshields that I just purchased, they are the correct size and do not need any trim. Makes me wonder if the smaller windshields were from another car like the Jetta?

Well that will be interesting if that ends up being true. I know on my 77, the windshield is slightly smaller and it has the trim piece that I am told was used on the windshields because the replacement windshields at the time were smaller than stock. On the new windshields that I just purchased, they are the correct size and do not need any trim. Makes me wonder if the smaller windshields were from another car like the Jetta?
Reminds me of a Wheeler Dealer episode. They were at the California shop/studio and they were doing a Saab needing a windshield that was unobtainium They invited a well know in California windshield guru Eddie Koto to have a look. He takes Mike to a windshield warehouse, and from thousands of windshields on shelves, pulls off the shelf a brand new windshield for IIRC a mid-90s full size Chevy Impala. They bring it to the shop and Eddie proceeds to "extract" the Saab windshield from the Chevy windshield.

I thought that was pretty neat!

Last edited:
Reminds me of a Wheeler Dealer episode. They were at the California shop/studio and they were doing a Saab needing a windshield that was unobtainium They invited a well know in California windshield guru Eddie Koto to have a look. He takes Mike to a windshield warehouse, and from thousands of windshields on shelves, pulls off the shelf a brand new windshield for IIRC a mid-90s full size Chevy Impala. They bring it to the shop Eddie and proceeds to "extract" the Saab windshield from the Chevy windshield.

I remember seeing that episode, pretty fascinating.

Well, there's a caveat here that I didn't mention, which was that the guy was building his tub from scratch, he was not starting with a MC tub. So he has some latitude to adjust for any size windshield he wants to install. So it's probably not an exact match, but I am wondering how close it is.

Reminds me of a Wheeler Dealer episode. They were at the California shop/studio and they were doing a Saab needing a windshield that was unobtainium They invited a well know in California windshield guru Eddie Koto to have a look. He takes Mike to a windshield warehouse, and from thousands of windshields on shelves, pulls off the shelf a brand new windshield for IIRC a mid-90s full size Chevy Impala. They bring it to the shop Eddie and proceeds to "extract" the Saab windshield from the Chevy windshield.

I was thinking the same idea as I read Pete's post. I've heard of several people that do the same process - cutting the desired shape from another, similar windshield that's readily available. Another option might be to have one made out of a moldable material by using a decent original windshield as a mold. There's a woman in SoCal that specializes in that. Her shop has made all sorts of custom stuff that way.

West coast shipment begins.....
IMG_7195.jpg

Back