Windshield wiper mechanism splines - help...

tvmaster

True Classic
Re-assembling my '74 wiper mechanism assembly, and am making one, better mechanism from the two I have, but this part (arrows) doesn't seem to want to go back down all the way. Have tried various methods of pressure and lubrication, but the splines on the bottom, If I recall from before disassembly, shouldn't be visible.
Any idea how to get the arm to press down fully on the post spline?

20230205_172547_resized.jpg

20230205_172553_resized.jpg

20230205_172642.jpg

I don't know but thoughts are:
1. Check the parts between your two sets are actually identical.
2. Check if there is an index position on that spline. Is it splined equally all round and the hole the same?

Just guessing. Mine are either still assembled on car or disassembled by PO in a million pieces in boxes...

Cheers
Steve

I don't know but thoughts are:
1. Check the parts between your two sets are actually identical.
2. Check if there is an index position on that spline. Is it splined equally all round and the hole the same?

Just guessing. Mine are either still assembled on car or disassembled by PO in a million pieces in boxes...

Cheers
Steve
It needed a good whack to come apart - the thing was really seeded on there tightly. I’ll check for a primer position, or index as you say. But first examination looked like they were all the same.
Even when trying to put the original arm back with ITS spline, I couldn’t get it all the way on.
Any chance they used some mechanical device to squeeze them together! The nut holds it on, but the restriction of extra travel down the shaft may impair operation somehow…

I found 2 assys that have not been dismantled. They are a bit different from each other but I reckon its not critical.

Wipe 1.jpg
Wipe 2.jpg

I found 2 assys that have not been dismantled. They are a bit different from each other but I reckon its not critical.

View attachment 70329View attachment 70330
Thanks for those photos. Looks like both of yours are seated lower on the spline? I can’t think of what tool was used to get the arm to seat lower on the spline, but it must create some serious force. You could bang it hard with a hammer, but damage to the motor would likely follow,,,

Thanks for those photos. Looks like both of yours are seated lower on the spline? I can’t think of what tool was used to get the arm to seat lower on the spline, but it must create some serious force. You could bang it hard with a hammer, but damage to the motor would likely follow,,,
I think one of mine is very similar to what you have. The second pic - see how the nut is only showing a bit of thread above it?

Only other suggestion is take it off, and check that you are putting it on dead square?

Yeah, those splines are so fine, even minor damage to just one could be a real impediment. Guess I’ll give it some power before mounting and see if the motion is restricted in any way…

Back