windshield woes!!

Duncan

True Classic
Come up against a problem with my windshield company they don't seem happy changing the windshield because they can't get new chrome trim from Fiat.

I have the old trim on my windshield and this would come off real easy with a sharp knife (believe me its not very secure) so I can't see any problem in fitting a new windshield and then glueing the old chrome trim on.

Anyway my question is apart from the chrome trim (which maybe is specific to an X1/9) the glue and the rubber trim that secures the windshield to the car is surely universal so there is no excuse fitting my windshield?

Incidentally on a new X1/9 was the chrome trim held on by clips or was it simply glued onto the glass?

Thanks

Duncan

Front glass

Come up against a problem with my windshield company they don't seem happy changing the windshield because they can't get new chrome trim from Fiat.
******* there are a few different versions... What year? ******

I have the old trim on my windshield and this would come off real easy with a sharp knife (believe me its not very secure) so I can't see any problem in fitting a new windshield and then glueing the old chrome trim on.

Anyway my question is apart from the chrome trim (which maybe is specific to an X1/9) the glue and the rubber trim that secures the windshield to the car is surely universal so there is no excuse fitting my windshield?
******** There is no rubber trim that secures the glass to the car. It's all glue. ******

Incidentally on a new X1/9 was the chrome trim held on by clips or was it simply glued onto the glass?
******** Glued.
Chris Obert ********

Thanks

Duncan

car year

The cars an 87 with black trim. The trim looks in good condition and is comming away from the glass where the crack is.

So Chris from your answer it looks like apart from the trim they should not have a problem sourcing materals to attach the windshield?

w/s trim

The cars an 87 with black trim. The trim looks in good condition and is comming away from the glass where the crack is.

So Chris from your answer it looks like apart from the trim they should not have a problem sourcing materals to attach the windshield?

Duncan,
Trim for all years is dimensionally the same, but the later is black. I will check stocks for black.

I just did a car with black trim for a client, but she wanted the glass trim bright, so we used paint remover & then polished the stainless before glueing it back on. Would be easy to primer & paint earlier trim.

It sounds like you are using a glass shop for the installation, they should have all materials in stock. And they should have the skills to use it, as I can confirm it's a mess to work with.

Chris Obert

no trim

Rob tells me we don't have any of the trim. Hard to belive after we purchased everything Socar had left in 2004.
I think there is used stuff out in the yard from my parting of a 1982, but I would be very surprised if you couldn't find anything used closer.

Chris Obert

Back