WTB...Rear trunklid spoiler end piece passenger side

Anthony

Daily Driver
Looking for those hard to come by spoilers. Not the whole spoiler just the plastic passenger side end piece that likes to break off when you close the trunk lid because of the antenna on the Fiat x19. I believe this was an aftermarket body kit spoiler like I said hard to come by. Anybody have any for sale?

The spoiler was also used on Hyundais. It was also original on the X1/9. Not aftermarket. As I knew the guy that made these for Bertone, I had access to them for years.

When the manufacturer went on to the great spoiler manufacturer in the sky, his estate tossed out the tooling. Bummer, as i would have bought it.

I made molds from original pieces, so I had the tooling to remake the ends, But after the last complaint about the cost, I tossed the tooling in the circular file. Enough of that large male cow poop.
A loss to all fueled by my frustration, and X1/9 owners refusal to understand what it costs to make molds, and then make stuff on the tooling. I don't blame Henk for giving up on the project also. He is a good man, and tries harder than you can imagine to help X1/9 owners out.
Of curse Hyundai owners don't care, so there was never a market there.

Last car I did with a wing we restored the wing without ends. Looked great.

The spoiler was also used on Hyundais. It was also original on the X1/9. Not aftermarket. As I knew the guy that made these for Bertone, I had access to them for years.

When the manufacturer went on to the great spoiler manufacturer in the sky, his estate tossed out the tooling. Bummer, as i would have bought it.

I made molds from original pieces, so I had the tooling to remake the ends, But after the last complaint about the cost, I tossed the tooling in the circular file. Enough of that large male cow poop.
A loss to all fueled by my frustration, and X1/9 owners refusal to understand what it costs to make molds, and then make stuff on the tooling. I don't blame Henk for giving up on the project also. He is a good man, and tries harder than you can imagine to help X1/9 owners out.

Interesting information. I actually I have a friend that is into 3D printing and he's going to try to make one for me out of plastic using the other side as a template, reversing it of course. Also, I have a friend that is a metal artist that is also willing to make an end piece out of metal for me.
Yes, yes, lol, I do understand the cost of making molds and such things. And, you're right it is not an after-market item. Personally the x19 looks way better with the wing than without it. And this particular spoiler seems to be the only one that I like the most.
If my 3D printing friend can successfully make the passenger side I'm sure he could make the driver side also and if so, I might consider making a few for sale.
Just out of curiosity, how much would one of these n Pieces have costed? I know the wing itself as a whole went for about 200 + used USD. I had a spare one that I sold regretfully now.
Thanks for the information Chris. I've seen and read information about you many years ago when I first started the x19 love. It's been about three plus years now for me with a short for your absence because of a drug addiction stupidity. Things got better, I got my car back and it's been Heaven driving her again. I absolutely love that car so much.

That's a shame because I certainly would have been willing to pay the price for them. I like the spoilers on the late model X's and was desperate to keep mine, but I don't like the looks of them without the tips. Too bad the original manufacturer lacked the foresight to make them out of aluminum or to simply mold the entire spoiler as one piece. He had to know the plastic tabs on the tips wouldn't last more than a year or so.

That's a shame because I certainly would have been willing to pay the price for them. I like the spoilers on the late model X's and was desperate to keep mine, but I don't like the looks of them without the tips. Too bad the original manufacturer lacked the foresight to make them out of aluminum or to simply mold the entire spoiler as one piece. He had to know the plastic tabs on the tips wouldn't last more than a year or so.
I never lost a tip off of the spoiler on my 86, I guess I was lucky. Or perhaps the PO had done something to it to retain the tips. I remember someone (possibly Gregory Smith) came up with the idea of removing the tips, fasten a bungee cord to one tip, pass the bungee thru the body of the spoiler and then put tension on the cord before fastening it to the other tip. This way, when the tip tries to plunge to its death, it can only dangle.

I have a whole spoiler on the shelf I got off an 86 parts car. Someone put a smear of bondo across the seams between the spoiler body and tips as "glue" I suppose. They didn't even paint it, it is still pinkish plastic. I will need to fix that if I ever put it on a car.

If somebody knows about which Hyundai model it was, we could just run for scrapyards. The same tips were also used on early sunbird convertible, but those are also not easy to find in the scrap yards...

I have a full spoiler on my ‘85 (courtesy of a PO who did a lot to try to morph the 85 trim with an 87). Ultimately, I would rather have a duckbill spoiler or trunk lid on the car. I know the OP is looking for a piece not a complete spoiler & (obviously?) I would not sell a piece vs the whole thing, but maybe there is an option here.

I have a full spoiler on my ‘85 (courtesy of a PO who did a lot to try to morph the 85 trim with an 87). Ultimately, I would rather have a duckbill spoiler or trunk lid on the car. I know the OP is looking for a piece not a complete spoiler & (obviously?) I would not sell a piece vs the whole thing, but maybe there is an option here.

I'm confused what you are saying. You have a whole spoiler for sale? Not just a piece? I don't know what your abbreviations mean PO and OP? Morphe and 85 trim with an 87? What trim are we talkin about? I'm sorry I'm trying to figure out what you're saying in your post.

I'm confused what you are saying. You have a whole spoiler for sale? Not just a piece? I don't know what your abbreviations mean PO and OP? Morphe and 85 trim with an 87? What trim are we talkin about? I'm sorry I'm trying to figure out what you're saying in your post.

PO = Previous Owner
OP = Original Poster (that is you in this case Anthony)

Chris will have to translate the rest of that trim talk ;), but I think he is indeed saying he has a full spoiler he could sell.:D

Thank you Jim, that is the case. Sorry, I thought "PO" was fairly common car message board slang. I did not have a parole officer do anything to my car! I am from the southern Appalachian foothills & perhaps sometimes i need a translator :)

I have a factory spoiler on my '85 that I will probably be interested in selling in the relatively near future, once I have my garage space open to work on the car, etc. & presuming I will be able to replace it reasonably with a duckbill spoiler. Okay, I'll try to write clearly.

Thank you Jim, that is the case. Sorry, I thought "PO" was fairly common car message board slang. I did not have a parole officer do anything to my car! I am from the southern Appalachian foothills & perhaps sometimes i need a translator :)

I have a factory spoiler on my '85 that I will probably be interested in selling in the relatively near future, once I have my garage space open to work on the car, etc. & presuming I will be able to replace it reasonably with a duckbill spoiler. Okay, I'll try to write clearly.

I am interested when you do eventually take it off the car. My phone number is 807-355-7432 call me when you're ready and we'll see if I can afford it LOL or send me an email to ajroch@hotmail.com.
Thanks Chris

The PO removed the wing before I bought the car, but I found a black one from an 86. The tips were in bad shape, but I used plastic weld to repair and adhere them to the wing.
I would be very interested if someone were to make replacements.

20190525_134803 (2).jpg

The PO removed the wing before I bought the car, but I found a black one from an 86. The tips were in bad shape, but I used plastic weld to repair and adhere them to the wing.
I would be very interested if someone were to make replacements.

View attachment 23590

During the winter time I am going to take the piece that I have and have my friend make a copy of it and reverse it for the other side and 3D print it. If this is successful in reproducing it by 3D printing it I will definitely post pictures and cost to do so. I also have a metal fabricator that is going to make one out of metal for me and I'll see how that turns out. The 3D one would be the more obvious choice for reproduction. I will keep everybody updated.

I have a right side wing end, but no left side. I might be willing to sell it, but i would prefer to work out a trade, where I could borrow a left side wing end and take a mold from it.

Beware that PLA, the most common 3D printer material, will shrink in the summer heat. As an experiment, I 3D printed 2 wing ends. They are not the same as the factory ends - I am not very good at Solidworks, so I drew what I could.

You can see them on the car in the pictures. They originally matched the extruded aluminum section, but they dont any more.

20190726_080041.jpg 20190726_075843.jpg 20190726_080011.jpg

Last edited:
I have a right side wing end, but no left side. I might be willing to sell it, but i would prefer to work out a trade, where I could borrow a left side wing end and take a mold from it.

Beware that PLA, the most common 3D printer material, will shrink in the summer heat. As an experiment, I 3D printed 2 wing ends. They are not the same as the factory ends - I am not very good at Solidworks, so I drew what I could.

You can see them on the car in the pictures. They originally matched the extruded aluminum section, but they dont any more.

View attachment 23734 View attachment 23735 View attachment 23736

Interesting information, thank you for that. I won't be doing anything to my wing until the winter time. As for using the left side as a mold, I would but it seems like it might be difficult for I live in Canada. And shipping it off to somebody unknown kind of freaks me out a little LOL. Did you make a mold of the right side? Is that why you're willing to sell it? I also have a metal fabricator that is willing to make a right side piece for me during the winter. I'm still exploring my options also. How would you suggest using my left wing end for mold,?

Back