WTB test pipe for FI (now on hold)

jvandyke

True Classic
I think I'll ditch the cat. Before I have a test pipe made up (using the flanges from the old cat) thought I'd see if anyone had one to sell. Bayless has for $80 but I"m too cheap. :cool:
must be for fuel injection exhaust I guess

Last edited:
Not sure where you would find a law against having a test pipe but I have one...

I am open to offers....:)

Not sure where you would find a law against having a test pipe but I have one...

I am open to offers....:)

JJ,
Back when I was running a shop that was doing smogs, it was a federal violation to remove a catalytic converter from a car that originally came with one, other than for "test" purposes. And it was just as illegal to offer a test pipe for one as it was to sell a used catalytic converter.
The fact that 1975-78 non California X1/9s actually CAME new with a test pipe installed, and that additional new ones could be ordered thru your local Fiat dealer, was an issue that confused both the Feds & California BAR air resources board (ARB) employees. And I know the guy running North American Fiat Factory spares depot finally made the officials all happy by disposing of his inventory of "test pipes".
But I have been out of the smog type of business for years, possibly the laws have been changed? It might be a really good idea to check...

I know I got a notice from California when they made selling non ARB approved catalytic converters illegal a year or three ago. I called them as I stocked new original Fiat 1975-79 (80 carbureted) catalytic converters, and I wanted to confirm that selling factory original parts was still OK... So I doubt their concerns for clean air have gone away.

Chris Obert

The standard cat out-flows freely available "hi-flow" 3" cat converters. You won't make any measurable difference to performance removing it (unless doing further mods to the exhaust like extractors/headers - and even then probably only fractions of a BHP).

So the cheapest option is to leave it in there - and you aren't going to upset anyone either. Win=win.

Yeah I guess. But I wonder have they actually looked at one? I know its traditional to think that a cat is a flow restriction - but my engine builder was stunned at the size of the cat and flow capacity of the one Fiat fitted.

Australian Design Regulations require it to be in place - I was prepared to "flirt" with that - but comparing the stock one with the readily available "performance" CATs for V8 applications showed the Fiat one would provide no restriction to flow on a 1500.

I guess the only way to be sure is to "back to back" a CAT against a test pipe on the dyno - anything else is just a "guess"...

I don't know. If it looks like cutt'n it out is getting to be too much hassle I won't. I have a backup. I admit expert #1 isn't a Fiat expert by a long shot but he's got 40 years of professional engine building under his belt, the other one knows Fiat's. I would like to have some means of adjusting exhaust fit though. Michigan doesn't enforce anything. All things even I'd rather not pollute more than I have to but I'm not sure how much good a 32 year old cat with 90,000 miles on it is doing anymore and I would kinda like a bit sportier sound too.

Those are both good prices but I've decided to try the flex pipe first (I just don't want to battle all those rusted connections!).

Back