X getting a Christmas present

The X came home today. Paint looks amazing. Can't wait to see it in the sun. Reassembly starts tomorrow. New Toyo tires being fitted (195 45r 15) as well.

Attachments

• 3-1-18 p1.JPG
    3-1-18 p1.JPG
    285.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 3-1-18 p2.JPG
    3-1-18 p2.JPG
    286.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 3-1-18 p3.JPG
    3-1-18 p3.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 3-1-18 p4.JPG
    3-1-18 p4.JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 3-1-18 p5.JPG
    3-1-18 p5.JPG
    317.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 3-1-18 p6.JPG
    3-1-18 p6.JPG
    319.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 3-1-18 p7.JPG
    3-1-18 p7.JPG
    296.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 3-1-18 p8.JPG
    3-1-18 p8.JPG
    327 KB · Views: 108
Hi Alan,

Your car looks really nice. How did you make out with the new windshield from Safelite? Do they still have a source of windshields for X1/9's? How much are they charging for a new windshield. Someone was posting earlier on this forum that they didn't think that Safelite still had windshields available. Who installed the windshield and are you happy with the end result?

Good luck on getting everything back together. Don't rush it as the re-assembly must be done with patience and care for a good end result.

George

I bought a windshield in 8-2018 from Safelite in Fargo, ND without Safelite installing. My Painter was going to install it. When the time came for the painter to install the windshield, the curvature of the new windshield was wrong and would seal properly. He test fitted it first so there was not any glue on it. I called Safelite and they will warranted it and are sending me a replacement which will take about two weeks. I paid $290.20 for it. Safelite part # FW00294 GTN. As back-up plan the painter was able to save my old windshield. Also the old windshield is much heavier than the new Safelite one. I hope the replacement fits as my old windshield is delaminating and is pitted. As far as reassembly I promise to go slow. I was cleaning the side intake vents last night with my electric tooth brush. I plan to put the X in The Wheels of Italy car show in Minneapolis in September and I there will be some pretty nice hardware there.
Alan

Thanks Alan for the information about your windshield. I hope that the replacement from Safelite will be better than the original one they supplied to you. Keep us posted on how you make out once you get your new windshield. On a recent episode of Wheeler Dealers, Mike Brewer was able to source a new windshield for an old Saab from a company somewhere in LA that has a super large inventory of new windshields. They take your old windshield and match up the curvature to a new one and then they cut the outer perimeter to the same size as your original windshield. I wonder if they could provide a new windshield for an X1/9? The curvature on the X1/9 windshield is not very complex so you would think that they could.

George

3-3-18 p10.JPG
3-3-18 p19.JPG
3-3-18 p13.JPG
3-3-18 p15.JPG
3-3-18 p14.JPG
3-3-18 p16.JPG
3-3-18 p2.JPG
3-3-18 p11.JPG
3-3-18 p8.JPG
I got most the X back together this weekend. I installed the interior, bright trim, bumpers, door handles, wheel with new Toyo tires and lights. I put some stick on sound proofing on the inside of the doors it make the slam sound more substantial. It worked. In put in LED headlights (sorry purest's). With the modern color and roof panel wrap,they work. What's left; windshield, engine cover repaint, and number 3 fuel injector replacement.

Attachments

• 3-2-18 p6.JPG
    3-2-18 p6.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 68
Lookin even better

Curiosity......what headlights did you use? I like the look.

Thanks for the ultra quick response! I will check them out. Have you tried them on the road yet? I don't want to blind anyone, but I can use all the help I can get, seeing at night, and am an absolute believer in reducing power drain on the electrical system. By the way.... I can see where YOUR X would believe in Santa Claus.

3-12-18 p1.JPG
3-12-18 p2.JPG
3-12-18 p4.JPG
3-12-18 p5.JPG
3-12-18 p6.JPG
3-18-18 p3.JPG
I'm pretty much done with the X. Just waiting on body guy to have a slot to install the windshield. Looking forward to using it as my daily this summer. Waiting for winters grip to let go! My plan is to never ever use it on wet roads.

You COULD just drive it the way it is & tell people that it is a virtual windshield that never gets dirty OR cracked.....although, if you ever accidentally hit the windshield washers, you would get a surprise.
The car looks great! I used my first X as a daily driver, even in the snow, but am right there with you now on keeping it a dry weather car (because I can, now. I didn't used to have that option). Will be interested in how your headlights work for you on the road. You are looking forward to a fun summer! ENJOY!

Very nice! What you did with the top is inspirational. I think I might try a carbon fiber look wrap someday?

Back