X-HAUST Redesigned.

TonyK

True Classic
For those of you that gave me glowing comments and liked my work and the sound of the system I built, thanks.

However, in my opinion it was just a bit too loud and there was a band of resonance around 1500rpm to 2500rpm. Just not to my liking. The sound I was looking for was one I had heard at FFO 2007 a black Ferrari.

So in the redesign the muffler was cut and turned 90 degrees and a second chambered muffler was added. There was no room for the bottle resonator. I did do a UTube video and although the sound quality isn't there, the car is truely quieter and sounds better than the video represents. I have obtained the sound I have been looking for.
P3020448.jpg

On the bench and rewelded 90 degrees from before.

P3050451.jpg

Mounted on the car.
P3050451.jpg

P3050452.jpg

P3050453.jpg

P3050454.jpg

Hanger detail.

P3050455.jpg

P3050456.jpg

I was asked for shot with the valance installed.

P3050458.jpg

Link to U-Tube Video, the first system on U-tube actually sounds like the redesign that I now have on the car.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLaJ7RybsJg"]YouTube - Revised Xhaust[/ame]
TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

Hey TK... I once saw a sticker on a Rice Rocket that read...

"If its too loud... then yur too old!"

I'm still insulted by it... but I was indeed too old, even 20 years ago!

I love your craftsmanship and the materials used... but it looks like a bunch of weight back there. I'm assuming that you could NOT find a single muffler (in SS?) that met your needs.

Glad you like the sound of it... but now that I'm 20 years older... its still too loud for me. HA!

Great work, thanks for sharing...

So what about resonsnce?

Hi Tony,

great work.
Have you tested to see if the resonance problem ist gone?

I can't stand resonance either...

I love the craftsmanship

As for the noise, I am with Tony N, too loud for mine old ears, HaHa.
But as long as you are way over on Canada and I am here in the Midle East, I can stand it.
Great job Tony,

I am working on the same kind of setup

Good job! Where did you buy the short flex pipe?

I am going to use a short 5-1/4" long single baffle muffler for the first and a 14" long duel baffle muffler for the second. They will probably give me a deeper tone than what you have. I will post pics whenever I get it installed.

Re, Comments.

Life has it's trade offs and short comings.

My objective since I have increased compression and have a wilder camshaft with MegaSquirt was an increased flow out the exhaust system. Two obtain it, required a larger diameter exhaust pipe. To keep the noise within reason, requires a larger muffler that I would either have to build ( now there's a thought) or purchase. The stock Fiat muffler is very long and has 3 chambers. Finding one in 2 1/4" inlet and outlet diameters, not out there. So I increase the flow, require now 2 mufflers and the trade off is weight.

Currently the weather is above freezing here, but it is raining. So I am not going to take my car on the road. The tone now is throaty but crisp, a road test will tell the tale about the resonance issue in short order.

As for the short flex pipe check out this supplier.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catal..._1064&osCsid=62172de9c50873f47d97cbaa72388ec9

I also have a Vee coupling to connect the system to the headers. I strongly suggest the installation of the flex pipe as the X engine does move a fair bit and cracking will occur somewhere in the exhaust system without it.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Resonace Test.

I drove the car about 2 miles today. Resonance has 2 small spots at 1250 RPM and 3000 RPM. The range is about 100 rpm above both those engine rpm's then the rest is nice, throaty and has body.

Back