X production info

rturchan

Baja Bob
Here in SoCal Merkel Weiss is the REFC/ rear engine Fiat Guru and I just visited the REFC site and saw that there were some production numbers listed. Don't know if they are correct but here is the link.
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/rearenginefiat/

By the way Merkel has a Fiat run Feb 21 and it is sure to be fun if you can make it. Info is on the site. The link is four years old but the 2010 canyon run is Feb 21. Merkel has owned Fiats since forever. He also taught at the prestigious Art Center College in Pasadena ( where literally every current auto designer has been educated) and continues to host Fiat club events at his house on a regular basis. Merkel also assists in the Italian car display at the Best of France and Italy event in Southern Ca. I'll also post to the events forum .
Bob. T.

Last edited:
Here in SoCal Merkel Weiss is the REFC/ rear engine Fiat Guru. Merkel has owned Fiats since forever. He also taught at the prestigious Art Center College in Pasadena ( where literally every current auto designer has been educated) and continues to host Fiat club events at his house on a regular basis. Merkel also is a primary leader in the Best of France and Italy event in Southern Ca and the Italian event in Montery in August.
Bob. T.

Incorrect.
I don't know how may years it's been, but Merkel stopped attending the Monterey weekend because it was too expensive.
I got Fiats originally into Frank's Concourso Italiano event, and even allowed Merkel & his wife to share a hotel room with us a few times so he would attend. If he is telling you he is the primary leader of the Italian events in Monterey he is just being Merkel.

I stand corrected

Opps, I did not mean to imply he was an organizer of the Italian car show in MRY. I'll correct my post. My post was not "per Merkel" , just my recollection of his involvement. Thanks Chris.
Bob T.

Last edited:
what kind of car is this?
1000ot_Bertone.jpg

what kind of car is this?
1000ot_Bertone.jpg

I suspect the picture was taken on a Bertone auto show stand somewhere about 1964-65. This would be the prototype hardtop Bertone proposed for the 850 series based upon their also proposed, and accepted, Fiat 850 Spider design (which is sitting next to it). It did not go into production, but Bertone did build & sell in North America a version of this car in 1970 & 71 called the Racer.
Surprisingly Greg Schmitt built a replica for one of the years Abarth was an honored mark in the 1980s (I forget the year) at the Monterey Historic Car Races It was a DNF as it broke his custom made carbon fiber pushrod. The standards were a bit more relaxed then, my 600 based hot rod was also in the Abarth pits that year, but was not allowed to race because Steve Earl did not accept Sedans.

Back