However, in 2012 at the Turin meeting, the Italian owner of the car below, said he'd bought it from Bertone "as they had two" - I assumed they'd converted two red cars at the time, little realising the car was highly likely the same one from Stile Bertone in 2000 - unless of course there's another red GT out there! That's unlikely I think, but how odd Bertone would dispose of what appears to be the more tidy conversion?
Yes indeed the same RED G T.
Only the 2 cars are known for sure!
The two-tone remained in the Bertone Stile "basement" never shown to the public or displayed in the museum.
It was wrongly assumed that both cars were solid red.

Probably not so long after you viewed the red one in 2000 it was sold off to that owner from Sicily you met.
as I understood it the Red G T was used by Nuccio's daughter then given to a Bertone employee who sold it out of Bertone to the public and the person you met.

He is one fortunate guy to own a piece of history like that!!

gtca.JPG

This old thread was referenced (via a link) in a recent discussion. It originally came out during a time when I'd taken a brief hiatus from Xweb due to personal matters, so I'd completely missed it the first time. Therefore a couple of the images are new to me. In particular this one of some X1/9 concept ideas:

1755FAFC.jpg

In that pic I like the bumper designs on the first image (Mar '69) and third image (Oct '69). Especially for the front where the X has that huge hideous body seam across the nose. That seam either needs to be removed for a split bumper/bumperless car, or hidden by covering it with a full length bumper. And those skinny bumpers I just noted do it in a very attractive - and classic Italian - way.....unlike the enormous bumpers we got.

The other image that caught my eye was the "station wagon" idea:

x19_prototype_familiare.jpg

I love old wagons, and oddball cars, so the concept should appeal to me. I want to love it but somehow I don't. It seems to throw off the proportions too much and loses the X's "exotic" look as a result. Therefore it kind of looks more like a production Japanese wagon.

Similar thing for the various pics of convertible X's:

2012.jpg

B32778.jpg

Again, I love "convertible" sports cars, and even more so "roadsters". So I should like a completely topless X. But like the wagon, it just loses the X's appeal and ends up looking like something plain - perhaps a '70s British car. Not a sexy Italian. And that has helped me to scrap the idea of making a open top X like I described in the "style/design ideas for the X" thread (around the middle of post #5):

I'm glad I finally got to see this old thread. :)

Back