X1/9 clutch replacement -- seeking wisdom

DSpieg

True Classic
Clutch release bearing failed on my X1/9, so will be replacing it, and the clutch disk and pressure plate while I'm in there.

Any advice from the crew? Tips not covered by the usual Haynes or factory manual procedures?

Grazie.

Dave Spiegelthal
Centreville, Virginia
dspieg@earthlink.net

'71 Fiat 850 Spider
'77 Fiat X1/9
'77 Lancia Beta HPE
'87 Alfa Romeo Milano
'01 Subaroni Legacio

Hey could you tell me what happend when it went on you? Did it lock up? could not put it in gear? Mine would start only holding the clutch in, then wouldnt go into gear. Just flustering to me. Im in the same boat, and taking off the tranny isnt to bad, just take your time and dismantle the whole left side, was a tad easier for me.

How it failed:

Had been whining for a couple of months whenever the clutch pedal was pushed. Then the other morning, with no warning, wouldn't disengage the clutch (that is, I can't shift unless the engine is turned off). I checked the slave cylinder, it's working fine.

For the best job, you will want to remove the flywheel and send it to the local machine shop for resurfacing.

If you have ben curious about the lightened flywheel mod, this would be a good time to make that decision:italia:

When removing/reinstalling the flywheel and while the trans is split from the engine, be VERY AWARE of the fact that x1/9s engines are sensitive to being turned over in the wrong direction. The timing belt tensioner is designed to work only when the engine is rotated in the correct direction and turning the wrong way will allow slack to develop and could lead to the belt getting loose enough to skip notches/teeth and throw off the timing.

The shop manual says that if the engine is rotated in the wrong direction, you have to replace the timing belt.

Dave... go here...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1115271836/One-person+transmission+install

Its no joke... it works...

I listed other stuff in the 1.0 version but the photos are no longer available.

Lightening the flywheel and rebalancing it (about 4 pounds removed) is one of the neatest things you can do and now is the time. Quicker revs and entirely different feel. Everyone that has done it loves it!

Contact Mad Matt or Chris Obert for current resources. I believe PBS will still machine them but not re-balance them. They use to charge 65 bucks for the entire procedure.

More details upon request.

Clutch Alignment Tool

For the X is an odd duck, there is not a "pilot" bearing as the transaxle input shaft floats. To get proper centering and alignment of the clutch disc to crank to flywheel. the alignment needs to fit snug into the hole on the end of the crank with a OD that matches the clutch disc splines.

Back in the day, PBS made a clutch alignment tool from input shaft cut offs and the end turned down slightly to fit into the end of the crank. These work, the common plastic input shaft repros do not have the turned down section and does not usually align the whole works properly resulting in hours of struggle and frustration in trying to get the transaxle back on to the engine.

Back