X1/9 Non A/C to A/C Wiring diagrams

TonyK

True Classic
Looking for a set or many sets of wiring diagrams for the 86/87 X1/9.

Trying to install AC on Bob Martin's car but the AC portion of the non AC car the wire colours do not match the print that I have. I am wondering if there is another diagram for different years.

Bob's car is an 86.

Thanks.

TonyK.

Hi Tony,

There is an electrical section in the Wiki. One item is an electrical diagnostic booklet for 1980 and 1981. It has a section on AC, but it is for the wrong year. Perhaps there could be some value... or not. There is also a 1981 wiring diagram listed. Nothing newer. :(

I have a scans of 7 pages labeled "Late model wiring diagram", but I don't see any AC related wiring in the scans. I don't know where I got it, so no idea if it is really "late model".

What model year diagram do you have in hand?

The innerwebz claims this is an X1/9 wiring diagram and it covers the AC stuff. I will post it and see what you think.
AC wiring for unknown year.jpg

Thanks Jim that print looks like what I have in Bob's car. That will allow me to make a few mod's and make sure the wiring is complete for the conversion.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

That print looks like the right one. It matches my booklet from MWB. I will check my Bertone manual as well.

Tony, my '86 (built in June) came with the second radiator fan and wiring back to the fuse panel, including the relay socket; I plugged a switch into the socket to control it manually.
My car did not come with AC. So some of Bob's wiring may already be there.

Tony, my '86 (built in June) came with the second radiator fan and wiring back to the fuse panel, including the relay socket; I plugged a switch into the socket to control it manually.
My car did not come with AC. So some of Bob's wiring may already be there.
Hi Jeff,

My non-A/C '86 (build date June '85) came with all of the wiring for a second fan (and the wiring for all of the other A/C components for that matter) but not the fan itself. I am surprised that your non-A/C car would have come with the second fan present as mine did not.

I am curious to know how your second fan is activated?
-By the original in-rad temperature-sensitive fan switch only?
-By your added manual fan switch only?
-By both depending upon the situation?
-Other?

TIA!

I am curious to know how your second fan is activated?
Activated by my switch only, plugged into the relay socket; my car is #157516. The fan was plugged into harness, once I saw it, I looked up which socket relay should have been in, jumped power across and viola, it ran. Replaced both fans when I got an aluminum radiator. Note in the pic, the back of the RH fan blades are clean- apparently, the fan had only been freewheeling these past 30+ years. Worked fine when powered up.
IMG_1355.JPG

Just checked my build tag- July not June 85, sorry for the flub.

Last edited:
Jefco, thank you for adding that photo! I see the motor cases are slightly different. Is it possible a prior owner added it? In my manufacturing experience it would be unlikely that a factory would stock two different assemblies for this application. When only one fan is installed it is located on the right in the photo where the hottest coolant enters. In the photo there is also an aluminum plug where the thermostatic fan switch goes. I have considered plugging in another stock fan to my '86 but thus far haven't needed the boost.

Last edited:
When only one fan is installed it is located on the right in the photo where the hottest coolant enters. In the photo there is also an aluminum plug where the thermostatic fan switch goes.
The DS fan is the one wired to the temp switch, the PS was for the AC (that's not there).
The plug came with the new radiator, so when I moved the temp switch, the plug went to the old rad.

Activated by my switch only, plugged into the relay socket; my car is #157516. The fan was plugged into harness, once I saw it, I looked up which socket relay should have been in, jumped power across and viola, it ran. Replaced both fans when I got an aluminum radiator. Note in the pic, the back of the RH fan blades are clean- apparently, the fan had only been freewheeling these past 30+ years. Worked fine when powered up. View attachment 23863
Thx!

I would like to try the VW dual-temp switch arrangement, since I already have the 2 fans; I'm 'saving up' things to do under the front of the car for the next jacking-up (not a common occurrence).
Dan, when did you get Jay Leno to pose in your car?;)

Back