X1/9 TURBO

Those eBay Turbo kits

Scare me. If you want a turbo, you are better off sourcing a Uno Turbo engine and gear box. Other options would be engine swaps, like a Honda K20 engine, or building up your current system. If you are running a single carb now, a dual carb set up won't help unless you put a hot cam in, work the head and other engine innards, and upgrade the exhaust to a nice freeflow set up.

If you have a FI car, you might want to look at replacing the ECU with a megasquirt set up so you can tweak the engine management to utilize the fuel/engine better, then tweak from there.

NOT THOSE AGAIN!

Those ebay kits are just a smattering of *usually* chinese made garbage and has nothing to do with an X1/9.

If you want to turbo an X, the easiest way is to get the manifold and turbo unit from an UNO overseas, and bolt them on to your stock motor (yes it bolts right on). Then you plumb the oil, water, and intake. Boost the fuel output under boost with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator (RRFPR) aka Fuel management unit or FMU and you're done! Well, most would consider an intercooler a necessity as well...

Of course you can make it much more high tech and complicated if you want but thats an easy inexpensive way to get a good HP boost. It'd be roughly equivalent to a compression boost, cam, header, and dual carbs but you don't even have to crack the block open and you'll spend less $$$, and have room to grow.

hmmm

not sure the engine will support the extra power from the turbo, olso you can add easy another 500 usd for the turbo management , don;t think x1/9 FI will "know" how to handle the turbo, add another extra money for the setup and who knows what problems will show up, and what parts are not going to be included into this kit , so you end up with 2 000 usd or more , and ALOT of work.
get a uno turbo engine, gearbox with engine wire loom and computers and coil , and that's a easy setup normaly, you can do it at home, faster then all that modification, and engine will live longer then a aftermarket turbo charged.

Good luck

Think of those advertisements that promise their "pill" cures "everything".. and they don't.

These kits are very likely going to be the same.. quackery trolling for a taker.

Knowing you're in Japan, what is allowed for modifications on your X. and how much more power do you want will help sort what might be the best way to get there.

Bernice

Hi, All,,

My X1/9 is '88 EFI,
If I want to get more power, which do you recommend to go,
twin carbs or turbo?

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fiat...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

"(1) Aluminum Battery Box Relocation Kit:
Full aluminum construction
Relocation cables, straps, hardware
Frees up lots of engine bay room
Better weight distribution for vehicle handling"
lol not really built for our cars, and I can't imagine install a front mount intercooler any time soon, try getting two 2.5" pipe to the front of the car.

I'm putting the Uno motor in my 1300, would be a really easy job if you already had an fuel injected 1500.

And kits START at a mere

$5000 dollars. And you get to do it yourself... Ha!

For that, you can have Matt Matt Brannon install a whole 2.0L engine in your X while you watch...

Hey,, Go post this on turbo124.com/forums..
You will get an entirely different set of answers..
I say go for it, but that kit is definetly not x19 specific and you may or may nor use alot of the kit.:dance2:

Back