X19 1500 distributor

rumone

Hello all ! At the moment I have a1979 1500 UK car!
It is running a s138 dizzy but it has seen better days ! Can anyone advise me if the s155 or later s178 dizzy will be ok to fit? Would I need to alter anything!
Many thanks!

Not familiar with these distributors used on the Lampredi SOHC.. More info on these distributors, electronic/points/all mech advance or has a vacuum control port.

Bernice

It is running a s138 dizzy
Guess you mean S135 as this was the most common UK fitment. The S155 was only fitted to late 1300 cars here, like Lidos - there was a thread on this somewhere, but IIRC the 1300 advance curve is slightly different than the 1500 so I'd try and stick with another 1500 era S135 (if you can suffer the dizzy cap outlay) or move to the later era S178 as you suggest. The S178 from another X1/9 would be my vote as the caps are still decent - however, as these distributors don't use vacuum advance (just like the S135) they have a plastic blanking plate to lock the advance mechanism - these are very fragile and easily broken. The contact set/points for the S178 are more money than the S135 as they are a cassette type with easy hex screw adjustment, but more importantly it's supported on the shaft to counter any wear. You can get a Lumenition optical electronic conversion kit to convert the S178 if need be. I'd be aware of other distributors that are taller or that you can't get a right angle cap for, as these will unnecessarily foul the plug leads on the inspection panel (and you can't use stock x1/9 plug leads either).

Alternative for you is the distributor from a fiat uno.

Something like this, its an electronic ignition version that fits.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132873845168

I don't recall which cap you need but you should be able to find a 90 cap for it and it more or less fits (as I recall it might need a little modification to the access panel)

ps I have no affiliation with this ebay auction, it is just an easy way to show what I mean.

Alternative for you is the distributor from a fiat uno.

Something like this, its an electronic ignition version that fits.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132873845168

I don't recall which cap you need but you should be able to find a 90 cap for it and it more or less fits (as I recall it might need a little modification to the access panel)

ps I have no affiliation with this ebay auction, it is just an easy way to show what I mean.
I just picked one up like that. I think I need to add a companion module to that as well, from a Yugo or some later Fiat.

The uno unit doesn't need an additional unit. It does , as I recall, need extra power to the electronic module which is on the side of the distributor.

Some time back Jeff Stich posted about a aftermarket electronic distributor that will fit the SOHC, and is was very affordable. I believe it is slightly taller than the stock dizzy and therefore requires a little clearance to the access panel. You'll have to review the thread to find out the details:

Some time back Jeff Stich posted about a aftermarket electronic distributor that will fit the SOHC, and is was very affordable. I believe it is slightly taller than the stock dizzy and therefore requires a little clearance to the access panel. You'll have to review the thread to find out the details:

I remember reading that thread and yes sounds like the same physical dimensions, possibly it was a aftermarket copy of the uno one.
When I got one starting was easier, but I don't think it had quite as much advance as my original points based one. But I was happy to make that trade at the time.

I imagine there may have been a few models of Fiats over the decades that used the same dizzy.

The advance range and curve on any of them should be capable of alteration for whatever you desire. ;)

Back