X19 Trunk lighting addition - anyone have a good example?

tvmaster

True Classic
While playing with ideas for footwell and glovebox LED lighting in the '74 X19, it would seem the trunk is also a good space to add illumination (as opposed to a Honda engine for the time being).
I'm experimenting with magnetic reed switches, which seem like a better idea than drilling holes for physical contact buttons, but if anyone else has a good idea, or has done this, how did you do it? Searching for 'trunk lighting' didn't turn up much...

While playing with ideas for footwell and glovebox LED lighting in the '74 X19, it would seem the trunk is also a good space to add illumination (as opposed to a Honda engine for the time being).
I'm experimenting with magnetic reed switches, which seem like a better idea than drilling holes for physical contact buttons, but if anyone else has a good idea, or has done this, how did you do it? Searching for 'trunk lighting' didn't turn up much...

I have used reed switches many times. I use them in combination with a solid state circuit or a relay, not to carry actual current as they aren’t rated for that generally.

Personally I have no real issue with drilling minor holes in my cars, honestly, it isn’t a Lambo.

I would use a pin switch as Erwin suggests. I would look at something like this:

Or use a OE Fiat one and make small bracket to bring it up high enough.

I have used reed switches many times. I use them in combination with a solid state circuit or a relay, not to carry actual current as they aren’t rated for that generally.

Personally I have no real issue with drilling minor holes in my cars, honestly, it isn’t a Lambo.

I would use a pin switch as Erwin suggests. I would look at something like this:

The reed switch idea came from the glove box, as there's absolutely no where for a refrigerator style switch. But the reed works perfectly - box just drops down and breaks the link, and there's a good place on the frame to stick the wired portion just above and to the right of the box.
I like the idea of a button switch in the trunk, but yes, it would involve drilling a hole -and hey, it's a Lambo to me. lol. Super baby Lambo.
Great switch link btw, thanks

You have a 1974 X. Maybe you should concentrate on making it run the nice way it was designed to? Then, you can move on to 'customizing'. If I wanted light in the trunk, I might try this flashlight: Harbor Freight 63766. $5 and you can carry it back to the engine where your big problem is.

You have a 1974 X. Maybe you should concentrate on making it run the nice way it was designed to? Then, you can move on to 'customizing'. If I wanted light in the trunk, I might try this flashlight: Harbor Freight 63766. $5 and you can carry it back to the engine where your big problem is.
Sacramento, eh? Thanks. That was helpful…

That picture is the exact one i used. You can cut the stalk to length needed. They look perfectly in keeping with rest of car

Back