X19 wheel stud help please!

NigeX19

Hi guys,
I am new member on here and have just bought a 78 X-19 with a 1500cc engine fitted. I have bought a set of wheel similar to the image below for the car. Mine are 13 x 6 and have been powder coated in silver. My question is related to the wheel bolts, the car currently has 40 mm length wheel bolts that are way to small/short for the new wheel. I also want to convert over to wheel studs and nuts as offered through mid west Bayless in the us. I am not sure what length I would need however as they come in 50mm, 65mm and 80mm lengths. I am not sure of the exact off set of the wheel I have ethier I asume it is between 30 and 40mm as they fit easily. What length stud would you guys recommend? These particular wheels will aso required a nut with out a taper at the bottom and a washer. Cheers Nigel:)

Sounds like you are looking for non-tapered, shouldered nuts with washers built in. These are available from wheel sellers and tire stores.

To calculate how long of a stud you need, measure the the width of the stud (this is the amount of thread into the hub, about 12mm), thickness of the spacer (5mm I think), depth of the hole in the wheel, and finally the depth of the nut (varies by design).

Probably 50mm will get you to the surface of the nut hole, so add the depth of the nut. You can always cut them shorter, but it's difficult to stretch them. :laugh:

I HAD A Similiar Issue Until Today

I like that style of wheel. Makes one of these look like an "X". :wink2::laugh:

I Second the Emotion for the Switch to Studs.
The Holes is those wheels look just like my Cromodora Mag Wheels,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281047544695?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_122wt_679

NOT MY WHEELS. Just better pix.

So you might use the Tapered Lug Nuts or the Flat Nuts & Washers.

To get your Offset, just use a Straight Edge and measure from the Rim to the Inner mounting surface of the wheel, then get the same info from the front of the wheel.
NOTE: The nice thing about 13 inch wheels is a one foot Mini Square Ruler can be positioned on the Tire mounting bead and the Square keeps the measuements to the surface very accurate. Too much variance and you've got a bent rim.

With that size wheels (and 205 60 R 13 or larger tires, you may need to double up on Spacers.
With the 65 mm's, I'm running 1 spacer with room for at least 1 more. I'll get pix of my conversion tomorrow

Give Midwest Bayless your stats and Matt can probably suggest what you "need".

Check this thread for recent info.

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/22189/

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you are looking for non-tapered, shouldered nuts with washers built in. These are available from wheel sellers and tire stores.

+1 on that advice from Greg.

When you get to the subject of wheel studs and wheel nuts or bolts, everyone will have an opinion. From a purely engineering point of view, it gets a little more cut and dried.

First you need to make sure the stud is made from 8.8 grade or better steel...that's tensile or structural grade in most circles, the standard wheel bolt is 80 rated (has it stamped on top in some example) so a length of threaded rod cut to length that you got from a local hardware store is just not going to cut it... or be safe.

Next you need to recognise that a stud will have, by definition, an UN-threaded portion in the middle somewhere. This is important.

Firstly it makes sure you can wind the stud in firmly to the hub. Mounting studs can be a bit of a science in itself, but it's safe to say that you should loctite them into the hub. More importantly, from an engineering perspective, it presents an UN-threaded portion where you might have any wheel spacers or where the studs pass through the wheel hub.

This is "best practice" in all motor racing circles and something a good safety scrutineer will pick up on.

M12 x 1.25 studs is what you want, hunt around at good tyre and wheel shops in Adelaide and you will find what you need.

Just one thing though, I hate shouldered bolt type wheels, always seem to present with balance and centering issues.. studs will fix this to some degree.

They are "Performance Bathurst" wheels, made famous here in Australia as that's the style of wheel the GTHO Fords ran to victory with in the early 70's, hence the Bathurst tag. We know that style as a "Daytona" as firstly that's what our favorite wheel manufacturer calls them...and I believe that style first appeared on a Ferrari Daytona in the 60's.

Anyone want wheels just like these, with shouldered lug type holes, easy to find here in Australia ... probably got a couple of sets behind my shed...I prefer to use only tapered wheel nuts to hold my wheels on, so I won't use them.

SteveC

Last edited:
Back