Yep...it's the Yugo module gone bad.

mmudge

True Classic
I have power to the B+ of the coil and 12v all the way into the connector for the module. With the key on I probed all the wires and the red was the only one with power. Nothing coming out of the others.

I gave the Bosch part # to Carquest and they have a replacement unit for 44 bucks. Just don't ask for a Yugo part. They get flustered.

Fingers are crossed.

ballast resistor?

There should be a ceramic ballast resistor between the coil and the control module... I believe it actually steps voltage down a little?

And when you convert from points to electronic, do you leave that in place?

Well.............

I don't know about the ceramic resister. I don't recall having one on my '75 X and I didn't see any on the '74 either.

My '75 just ripped.

Resister

I just changed over from points to electronic ignition. I didn't previously have a resister but the EI came with one, so I installed it. Don't know if that's right or not, but the motor is sure running well.

Are you talking about the...

Electronic Ignition Module (EIM)?

Carquest has these?

Secondly... all ignition coils operate on a specific voltage... and most are 9 volts. Most require a ballast wire or RESISTER to drop the 12 volts to 9.

A 9v coil will run on 12 volts and this is an old hot rodders trick for more voltage for a better spark... and its also the reason that only hot rodders seem to have burned out coils.

You may have a 12 volt coil on there that does not require a ballest resister... but it would behove you to either find out or carry a spare coil.

Back to the EIM again... I once saw an exploded diagram of this but don't know where now. How did you prove it good or bad? I believe it may only have a single voltage input and supplies or removes GROUND to the coil in order to trigger a high voltage spark.

Hope I haven't confused you more. If I'm confused... that's OK...

Keep the resistor

It'll make your coil last a lot longer and the difference in spark is relatively negligible.

You know he's talking about the Yugo ignition, not the X style, right?

The Yugo module should be the same part as almost every VW, Volvo, SAAB, (insert euro model - except later BMWs) with Bosch electronic ignition from the mid '80s. Very plentiful in the wrecking yards. I don't think I've ever heard on one actually going bad.

Electronic Ignition Module (EIM)?

Carquest has these?

Secondly... all ignition coils operate on a specific voltage... and most are 9 volts. Most require a ballast wire or RESISTER to drop the 12 volts to 9.

A 9v coil will run on 12 volts and this is an old hot rodders trick for more voltage for a better spark... and its also the reason that only hot rodders seem to have burned out coils.

You may have a 12 volt coil on there that does not require a ballest resister... but it would behove you to either find out or carry a spare coil.

Back to the EIM again... I once saw an exploded diagram of this but don't know where now. How did you prove it good or bad? I believe it may only have a single voltage input and supplies or removes GROUND to the coil in order to trigger a high voltage spark.

Hope I haven't confused you more. If I'm confused... that's OK...

Carquest

Yep, Carquest. They have helped me numerous times with items I'd have paid more for, or at least postage. But in 90% of the things I've ordered from them they've been able to get them in a few hours from their local inventory.

You just have to work part numbers instead of type of car. They had no listings for Yugos on their system but when I gave them the Bosch PN it popped right up on the screen. They show 2 mfgrs, Bosch and one whose brand begins with an H. I don't recall the name. I bought the 2nd one for 44.95. The Bosch lists for 110.00, so, being cheap, I thought I'd give the lesser a try.

As to the resistor, I'm using the Yugo coil and dizzy, so there shouldn't be a compatability issue.

Well John, Mike... I am indeed confused...

... but that is OK...

So yur sayin' the Yugo EIM is different than the X1/9... and Mike, you also said you are using the Yugo coil... which should be compatable.

All I can offer is his then, the coil is powered USUALLY from an outside source and USUALLY through a ballast resister or a ballast wire... that drops the voltage down from 12 to 9.

Again... the EIM USUALLY only switches a GROUND potential to the other side of the coil via the reluctor (or points) in the dizzy.

Ground is ground... but its the supply voltage that needs to be compatable and that lies OUTSIDE the EIM... again... USUALLY.

The coil will indeed work with either voltage... (and in some Chyrsler products... the START mode on the ignition swich BYPASSES their ballast resisters to give the coil a higher output potential JUST when starting...) but USUALLY a prolonged application of 12 volts on a 9 volt coil will shorten its life or cause it to fail.

You should really find out what potential your coil requires...

Tony and Ernie

Remember now, the EIM and coil are from a late 80's early 90's Yugo. My '74 was a points only car but I removed all that and installed the Yugo setup. So all I need is 12v to the coil and the rest is taken care of. I just have to stop grounding and shorting the positive side. :)

The Bosch module PN is 0227100123. That will cross to at least one other brand other than Bosch.

BTW....the car fires up on the 1st crank and runs nicely. Next week I'll do a compression check to see what I have in there.

Mudge

Back