yep, that she blows again!!!

jvandyke

True Classic
Went for a morning pleasure cruise. Was tooling along leisurely at about 40mph, suddenly ran rough for about 3 seconds then a huge backfire and engine died. Flat bed home.
Took a few hours off, started diagnostics, so far timing belt is still on and tight, will check timing but suspect HG went again. No coolant apparent in oil or vice versa, but never has been when it pops between cylinders. Was not running hot and went 70 miles yesterday.
Might be the kiss of death this time.:dead:

Last edited:
Went for a morning pleasure cruise. Was tooling along leisurely at about 40mph, suddenly ran rough for about 3 seconds then a huge backfire and engine died. Flat bed home.
Took a few hours off, started diagnostics, so far timing belt is still on and tight, will check timing but suspect HG went again. No coolant apparent in oil or vice versa, but never has been when it pops between cylinders. Was not running hot and went 70 miles yesterday.
Might the kiss of death this time.:dead:

Ohh damn... I hope not Jeff :(
You have been having a time with it lately...

Would a headgasket really keep the engine from running?

When I used to drive an X, I never had a head gasket blow, but...
When I used to have a pile of 850s in high school, I popped quite a few.
So, I only have my experiences with the 850s to go from, but based on how things went with them, it's hard for me to imagine that a blown hg would keep the engine from being able to run at all if everything else is in order.
I'm not saying "running good" with a popped gasket, but In my experience an 850 could run well enough to get home with a gallon of antifreeze making a slush in the oil pan. Course that's when they'd blow into the water jacket, but on the more rare occasion of blowing one between cylinders they still always managed to get me back home.
I dunno. Was just sort of curious if it actually common for a popped head gasket to make the engine unstartable in an X. It sounds like you've had some experience popping them before, so you'd be the one to ask.
Anyway, I hope it turns out to be something else that turns out easier to repair:\
Good luck and I hope you have a Happy Easter:)

Might the kiss of death this time.:dead:

I would NOT think HG at all yet...I had these symptoms with a failing dizzy once. It shorted out a couple times while driving and would backfire when the ignition got juice again then died...

that's quite possible, I'm running a spare dizzy so it could easily be, I'll swap those around first, before I push it off a cliff, more fun to drive it off the cliff

Rotor button

Had this happen to me 5 minutes into a dyno run end flew off the rotor button big back fire and it was all over, 4 hours from home and no spare button

Tim wins!!!

Thank you Tim, you may have saved the car and my sanity!
Swapped distributors, fired up and ran well, just a second of running as I don't have time to time it up just now but that's a big relief, it may live on a bit longer after all. I'll mark that distributor as for parts only.
And no, today's failure was not like earlier HG blows. Mostly those are subtle power losses then running like crap and limping home.

Last edited:
Great news:)

Congrats on the easy fix:D
The mention of the big backfire had reminded me of a couple of backfires that happened when pull-starting an 850 to get it running once, but that was because the distributor was 180 out, so not something I'd think of with a car that had already been up and running.
Didn't consider that other timing/spark related issues might produce a similar result. Just not mentally quick enough about this stuff anymore I guess:p
Does sort of remind me of a little distributor bug (button?) related problem I had once though. Was zipping along down a side street in my 850 and hopped over a little bump and engine goes dead.
Popped open the trunk/hood and glanced around. Nothing seemed obvious/wrong/out of place at first until finally something seemed a bit *funny* about the distributor. It looked... Shorter.
Looked closer, and realized what had happened.
When I'd hit the bump, there was enough play that the distributor shaft and bug had *hopped* when I hit the bump. That brought the spinning bug up enough to hit up where the electrodes (if its the proper term for those things) mount and pass through the top of the cap. There was enough twisting impact force to shatter the first inch or so of the cap all the way around, leaving it sheared off almost like it'd been cut or made that way in the first place. then it came back to rest in the place where it started, so the cap was still where it was supposed to be, but an inch or so shorter and just resting on top of the bug.
The internals of the cap, and the rotor itself hadn't really been hurt though, so I dug around the car and found some super-glue and a roll of electrical tape, then went in search of what was missing from the cap. There was basically a trail of shattered cap remnants leading from the rear of the car, clear back to just after the bump which was about half a block away. spent about 20 minutes gathering up what I could see and applying some creative use of glue and tape to jigsaw it all back together (wasn't perfect, lots of little pieces missing, but more than enough to get it structurally sound enough to function.
Then I drove it home and went digging for a spare distributor and cap (didn't want to continue to use the antisocial distributor again, then all was right with the world and time to go cruzin' again:p
FIATs Rule!
Happy Easter:)

Thank you Tim, you may have saved the car and my sanity!
Swapped distributors, fired up and ran well, just a second of running as I don't have time to time it up just now but that's a big relief, it may live on a bit longer after all. I'll mark that distributor as for parts only.
And no, today's failure was not like earlier HG blows. Mostly those are subtle power losses then running like crap and limping home.

Good news. Didn't you post a pic of the repalcement dist with no vacuum diaphragm attached to govern the advance/retard mechanism? Did the weights fly out & lock the shaft? Any pics?

Whew! I am sure it felt great when it fired right up with the working dizzy. And in time for the weekend :)

You could always go with a trigger wheel ignition and never worry about a darn dizzy again! I loved my electromotive ignition. It was solid.

Yes, it was the vac adv. delete/bud light dizzy that I told myself to pull out last night but didn't. It's gone now.:wink2: It looks and feels fine yet spins freely but I took a sharpie and marked it BAD.

It's ALWAYS the last thing that stupid mechanic...

of yours messed with last!

I'd fire him... or at least tie his hands together or lock the engine cover shut. This guy has caused you soooo much trouble in the past he should be taken out and whipped!

Glad it was something "simple" again... Oh... and some smart (ass) guy on this site said recently that he was amazed your car was running at all with that dizzy. I think it was TonyK... or maybe Pete Whitstone...

HA!

If you mean my little story, then I'm glad you enjoyed it:)
I'm pretty sure I talk and/or babble waaaay too much on average when I post.
That's something I am trying to work on.
But finally having the car and being able to work on it gets me all motivated, then when I'm working I start getting back all of these memories from back in the 90's when I used to work on fiats and other cars a lot with my buddies (some weren't mechanically inclined, but they'd still hang out and join in the fun) and there'd be lots of laughing and carrying on, and stories being shared.
It was often somewhat of a group activity, sometimes to the point of what might be called a social event, or sometimes even a party. Like sometimes we'd be working along on some car and a bunch of cars/trucks would come roaring up to the house loaded with people and somebody would jump out and say something like "Hey Schafer! We heard you were working on (somebody's) car tonight, we brought the supplies!".
And then there'd be all these people carrying all kinds of stuff up to the house. Cases of beer, 2-liters of coke, bags of meat, Tyler's bass guitar...
Pretty soon you'd smell burning hickory followed shortly by that wonderful smell that is produced when meat and fire come together.
Then sounds of somebody tuning up my guitar and some thumps, bumps, raps as someone started getting warmed up on the drums, meaning that our auto-work would soon have the required live-band to provide the necessary motivational background music to keep us working into, or sometimes even all the way through, the night...
And remembering all that stuff, I start feeling a sense of excitement. Like something big, or important, or fun is just about to happen.
And I wanna talk, and laugh, and have fun, and share stories again.
All those memories start flooding back, and then the sorts of feelings/emotions that go with them.
It's somewhat of, I don't know what to call it, a rush?
It's like there's this huge part of me that's been missing is trying to come back, building up inside me till it's so intense it's like it wants to burst out and come alive. Something inside me wants to come back to life and *live again*. And I find myself feeling *very much* alive. Electrified. And I feel stronger, faster, more aggressive, and I don't ache all over anymore.
But then, ya know, I'm sort of all jived up with nowhere to go.
It'll be like, 3 a.m. and there's no people.
The town is asleep. The world is quiet.
Instead of the smell of BBQ there's usually the smell of diesel because there's usually a train engine or two Idling on the track on the other side of the lot that's behind my house and they often leave them running all night. Nobody to laugh with, or share stories with. And I'm no good at telling good stories anymore anyway.
It's all good though. I mean I know enough about how the brain and body work (and previous experience) not to be freaked out by the sudden changes, sensations, etc.
It's really just a combination of part of the natural healing process of the brain combined with some of the body's response to the extra stimuli.
As in, astrocytes the brain (and or other related auto-repair mechanisms in the brain) react to me using/accessing areas of my brain that are rarely used due to either being still fairly damaged or have been somewhat simply cut off from access because of damaged/broken direct-access links (hence the sudden random floods of old memories and emotions as the astrocytes start scrambling around trying to reconnect and patch things up) and then all that mental mayhem excitement causes glands and such in the body to go like, "Holy Crud, there's a WAR goin on!" and shoot a cocktail of various endorphins with an adrenaline chaser, which essentially deadens the nerves and shifts the brain and body into *overdrive*. hence the "stronger, faster, more aggressive, and I don't ache all over anymore" part. So, not turning into superman, just a little shot of nature's own version of opium and cocaine being directly injected into the bloodstream.
And if I happen to come onto xweb under the influence of all that and try to type a "simple/quick" post or response or whatever...
Well, it's effectively like shaking up a bottle of soda-pop then popping off the cap.
Eeeeeeeverything starts spewing out all over the place.
Try to ask a quick question about a clutch slave cylinder, 2 hours later: Come to realize that I've written something more like the first 16 pages of a novel containing half my life's story.
*QUICKLY select-all/delete and thank my lucky stars that I hadn't gotten to the point of actually posting what I'd written yet because this forum is full of nice people and I like them, so if they don't already think I'm crazy I don't want to make too much noise and scare them all away...* lol
Ah, and there we go.
Went to post a "quick reply" and looky what has happened.
I've gone and written another essay.
Happy Easter:)

I dunno what we're gonna do with you...

Maybe I'll just consider you as an EXAMPLE of what can happen to me when I get into one of those moods.

HA!

Hey, now keep your hands in your pockets and try and enjoy your Spring... DRIVING your car!

Back