Yet another question on locks

Fiatfiend

True Classic
Boy, when I get back on here, I do it with a vengence, don't I?

I won't go into the whole story. I've got a trunk/engine cover lock cylinder with a busted off key in it. I think it's a ignition key. This is on a 1978.

In did everything I could think off on the bench to get the key out. I even bored a hole into the side of the lock cylinder, perpendicular to the direction of the key. I think that ruined it, so I've got another cylinder coming I hope to rekey to my keys.

Last night I continued to try to open up my old cylinder -- without trying to preserve or save anything except the brass tumblers inside.

HOLY MOLY, how does this this open up!? I've reduced it to hunk of abused metal, trying all sorts of avenues.

Is it even possible? It looks like it was crimped together when it was made.

Anyway -- thanks,

dave

I hate to suggest this

But I had a problem with door keys not matching the glove box. I had to hunt around for a locksmith that deals with car locks, but I did find one and he was able to re-core the cylinder to match the keys. So I am suggesting a locksmith.

When searching for a car oriented locksmith, just call a local locksmith and ask for their recommendation.

Damon

Locksmith idea

Taking it to a locksmith was my original idea, and I still might. I kind of wonder, though, if this is a lock cylinder that can't be altered or opened. I can't see how you'd do it.

Yes, they look like they cannot be opened

The cylinder door the glove box was impenetrable to my eye, but the locksmith was able to work with it.

Damon

Fish Hook Broken Key Trick

It sounds like this advice comes too late for you, but the next time you break a key off, get a barbed fish hook. Straighten it out, push it into the lock with the remains of the key, and use the barb to extract the key.

Works every time.

I had to write back

I didn't break off the key. The previous owner did. And I'm pretty sure that he jammed the ignition key into the engine cover/trunk lock. It wasn't coming out of there for anything.

Good advice, though.

Back