Yokohama S Drive 185/55-14

rx1900

1981 X1/9
Due to the dearth of decent 13" tires in North America, many of us have acquired some 14" wheels as a possible solution.

It has been generally accepted that 185/55-14 is the preferred size. Well...actually the only real 14" size that fits on a stock X1/9. Not a huge selection of choice in that size, but one that has always stood out - well to me at least - was the Yokohama S Drive. Well known quality manufacturer, nice tread pattern, and touted as a great performance summer tire. Was available at a reasonable price from Tire Rack and many other suppliers. Generally priced just under $100 per tire.

Those among us who tried them seemed quite well pleased. Never heard a bad thing about them.

But....sadly...it appeared about a year ago, Yokohama USA discontinued them. Stock dried up at Tire Rack and most other vendors. Looked like the end of a good thing.....

But then....perusing Ebay...this pops up very recently:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/YOKOHAMA-S-Drive-185-55R14-80V-Quantity-of-4/183853230371?fits=Aspect+Ratio:55|Section+Width:185|Rim+Diameter:14&hash=item2ace81a923:g:iXUAAOSwVlRdeIvB&LH_BIN=1&LH_ItemCondition=3

Hmmm......has Yokohama brought them back ? Or is this possibly our last "kick at the cat" ?

Available ? Listing says "more than 10 sets available"

Pricing ? Wow...that is $73.50 per tire with free shipping !!!!

Scam or ghost listing ? Ebay vendor has 24,000 transaction history with 99.5% positive feedback.

Almost seems to be too good to be true......i'm this close to pulling the trigger....anyone else want to go first LOL ??

Cheers. Doug

Last edited:
I have no 14" wheels, so no real interest in buying, but... you might want to ask for the date code. That can't be that old, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Due to the dearth of decent 13" tires in North America, many of us have acquired some 14" wheels as a possible solution.

It has been generally accepted that 185/55-14 is the preferred size. Well...actually the only real 14" size that fits on a stock X1/9. Not a huge selection of choice in that size, but one that has always stood out - well to me at least - was the Yokohama S Drive. Well known quality manufacturer, nice tread pattern, and touted as a great performance summer tire. Was available at a reasonable price from Tire Rack and many other suppliers. Generally priced just under $100 per tire.

Those among us who tried them seemed quite well pleased. Never heard a bad thing about them.

But....sadly...it appeared about a year ago, Yokohama USA discontinued them. Stock dried up at Tire Rack and most other vendors. Looked like the end of a good thing.....

But then....perusing Ebay...this pops up very recently:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/YOKOHAMA-S-Drive-185-55R14-80V-Quantity-of-4/183853230371?fits=Aspect+Ratio:55|Section+Width:185|Rim+Diameter:14&hash=item2ace81a923:g:iXUAAOSwVlRdeIvB&LH_BIN=1&LH_ItemCondition=3

Hmmm......has Yokohama brought them back ? Or is this possibly our last "kick at the cat" ?

Available ? Listing says "more than 10 sets available"

Pricing ? Wow...that is $73.50 per tire with free shipping !!!!

Scam or ghost listing ? Ebay vendor has 24,000 transaction history with 99.5% positive feedback.

Almost seems to be too good to be true......i'm this close to pulling the trigger....anyone else want to go first LOL ??

Cheers. Doug
Guess I overpaid for my 'last in the world' set!

Guess I overpaid for my 'last in the world' set!

Yeah....the last time I saw some for sale I recall they were about $110 per tire....

When did you get yours ?

What was the production date on them ?

Have you installed and driven on them yet ? Any feedback for us ?

These would be great on my 6x14 Revolution wheels.

39AD8798-F4D2-407E-8E8A-C059F311A5B3.jpeg

Yeah....the last time I saw some for sale I recall they were about $110 per tire....

When did you get yours ?

What was the production date on them ?

Have you installed and driven on them yet ? Any feedback for us ?
Looks like a Jan production date. Got these in July I think. Won't be on the car for a little while yet, but these seemed to be the only performance tire to fit.

Attachments

• 20191006_135437.jpg
    20191006_135437.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 68
No, no....not that it matters...but if you are referring to the JAN on the tire sticker...that is NOT the production date of the tire....

FYI.....the production date ( when that particular tire was made ) can be found cast into the rubber sidewall of the tire. Usually only on one side, near the bead. Like here:
tire production date.jpg

In this case, the tire in the pic was made in the 35th week of 2014.

What does you it say on your tires ? Do you recall where you got them and how much you paid ??

Kindly do let us know when you fit them and how you like them. And any clearance issues. What wheels are you using ??

No, no....not that it matters...but if you are referring to the JAN on the tire sticker...that is NOT the production date of the tire....

FYI.....the production date ( when that particular tire was made ) can be found cast into the rubber sidewall of the tire. Usually only on one side, near the bead. Like here:
View attachment 26096

In this case, the tire in the pic was made in the 35th week of 2014.

What does you it say on your tires ? Do you recall where you got them and how much you paid ??

Kindly do let us know when you fit them and how you like them. And any clearance issues. What wheels are you using ??
Wheels are CD50's. Will have to unstack a tire and take another pic

Back