Your favorite year X?

carl

True Classic
Due to Canada's gift to the eastern US, I'm in no rush to go outside and work on my Fiats so I'll waste everyone's time here.

What year(s) X is your favorite? Some of you think the 74 is the holy grail but for cheap folks like me there are too many unique aspects to that year which makes restoring problematic.

Everyone knows I dislike fuel injection from a hobby standpoint so anything from 81 on is out. Also, they have bumpers that are not a bad job but not to my taste. And their electrical system is more complicated than I want. I prefer the simple fuse box near the steering column, not that NASA derived electrical hub under the glove box.

79 and carbed 80 would be closer to my wish list because of no FI but still has the ugly bumpers and electrical system.

75-78 are the sweet spot for me. Carbed motor, easy to get rid of the emissions crap, funky bumpers that are easy to convert to single rail and you already have the correct grill and chin spoiler. I would plop a 1500 in it. Four speed is no issue for me as I do mostly local driving so I really don't need 5th gear.

I like to tinker with my Xs so my wish list may be different than yours. I prefer simplicity, no AC, no electric windows.

As if anyone cares, I'm in your camp for all the same reasons.

Same, same, for the 124 spiders (except for the plop a 1500 part).

😂😂😂😂

Complete opposite for me latest is best ‘88 Bertone!

Electrical is easy for me as I’m used to CAN, MOST and other modern electrical bus’s. The X1/9’s electrical is very basic!
Fuel injection is no problem even though mine is carb, have all the FI ready to go if I chose that direction, haven’t made that choice as yet!
A/C, well I’m in Australia, my car is RHD and was never offered in RHD models so have already retrofitted the factory system making modern day upgrades to the system.
I really like the big bumper look and the later models interior are just a nice place to be.
I can see the attraction of an early model but not for me!☺️
Because of the long production life of the X1/9 we’re lucky to have the choice of the early original concept through to the later full expression of the model….choice is yours!

In California, 1974 and 1975 are now exempt from biannual smog testing so I'll go with those years having already returned my car to stock and back again at least a dozen times.

For me it's the 85 because that is what I own :D

Seriously I like the later cars for a couple or reasons.

- Better electrical systems, Bertone implemented many improvements on these cars.
- Better Rust protection, again Bertone did improved rust protection on the later models.
- Better reliability, many improvements over the years lead to the most trouble free cars, if you can say that about an X.
- 5 Speed Trans
- 1.5L engine with FI, better in most ways over a carburetor.
- Bumpers can always be removed to bring the traditional look.
- My 85 is 11 years newer then a 74 so in general less ware, less rust, less hassles.

That's my story and I am sticking with it.

PS In IL with Extended Antique plates (drive it from March to November) I don't have to do emission certifications. That opens up all sorts of creative exhaust systems.

Due to Canada's gift to the eastern US, I'm in no rush to go outside and work on my Fiats so I'll waste everyone's time here.

What year(s) X is your favorite? Some of you think the 74 is the holy grail but for cheap folks like me there are too many unique aspects to that year which makes restoring problematic.

Everyone knows I dislike fuel injection from a hobby standpoint so anything from 81 on is out. Also, they have bumpers that are not a bad job but not to my taste. And their electrical system is more complicated than I want. I prefer the simple fuse box near the steering column, not that NASA derived electrical hub under the glove box.

79 and carbed 80 would be closer to my wish list because of no FI but still has the ugly bumpers and electrical system.

75-78 are the sweet spot for me. Carbed motor, easy to get rid of the emissions crap, funky bumpers that are easy to convert to single rail and you already have the correct grill and chin spoiler. I would plop a 1500 in it. Four speed is no issue for me as I do mostly local driving so I really don't need 5th gear.

I like to tinker with my Xs so my wish list may be different than yours. I prefer simplicity, no AC, no electric windows.
Complaining about the smoke and then claiming to like the car because it is easy to remove the emissions equipment :). I know, big difference but it struck me as ironic.

My favourite is the FI models. Easy starting, no choke, and mine gets 45 MPG consistently (CDN gallons of course). I really like the 5 speed and the leather interior. I like having the cat so my eyes don’t water from the exhaust. Having a stainless exhaust is a nice plus too.

Cons: Like you said, the big bumpers which spoil the clean lines a bit. I don’t like the electric windows much, but sometimes they’re nice to have so you don’t have to reach across the car when you’re alone.

That’s my opinion anyway.

I'm with you Carl. Which makes me question my mental health. I'm a 1980 model fan because they were carbureted but got the driver side mirror in the window and the Bertone crest on the dash under the glovebox.

I've had two, an 80 with FI and my 74 which I still have.

The 80 had the better engine, and I didn't mind the bumpers. It had the Vicks coil overs and Vicks brakes so it was a lot of fun to drive. But I had to get rid of one and the 80 went. I like the 74 interior better than the 80, and the bumpers have a cleaner exterior look to me. I also like the way the engine cover is flatter, I think that makes the whole car look slimmer. I don't mind the 4-speed either. It gives a pleasant retro period driving experience. While the power is low, the engine doesn't mind revving and that is a fun part of the experience.

I like the later versions too. If I had the opportunity to get a nice VS, I would do that, or even one of the very late Bertones. But if I can only pick one, it's the 74 because of the clean design and elemental-ness of the driving experience.

I didn't much like the X 1/9 until the 79 came along.5-seed and clean and simple otherwise. I certainly don't mind the bumpers. The earlier years had some poorly integrated designs in my opinion. But in later years Fiat started adding unnecessary things like a gazillion gallon washer tank that took up valuable real estate in the frunk, and strange body side cladding that did nothing for the overall design, and other personal preferences regarding colors and interior colors in the 79 that I like. It's a driving machine so the power and emissions don't bother me one bit. You get it up to speed and start slicing and dicing with a fine smooth Italian engine. That's all you can ask.

This is hard because they all have their charms.
Early bumpers look best, as does the early dash IMHO.
The five speed and bigger motor - who wouldn’t like that?
I’m thinking mix/match using the best of all years..
Here in CA,
No smog gives you artistic license,
So ‘74-‘75 gets the win, but only for bureaucratic reasons.
- Only way to run a pair of Webers…

I have owned 8 Xs at this point in my life. 75, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 86 model years. I have experienced 1300 carb'd 4 spds, 1500 carb'd 5spds and 1500 FI 5 spds. I prefer the look of the 74 small bumper cars, but the more modern interior and driveability of the late model 1500 FI Xs.

Eventually, my 78 will have an 1500 FI 5 spd drivetrain.

79 mainly because that was the year of my first X. I like the 1500/5 speed, the interior and the tach that goes the correct direction. Lastly I like that it had a carburetor. Really I like them all. When I decided to buy another X the plan was to do a big valve head, cam , duel carbs and headers.
I love my 86 I bought from Rudy. He really took good care of this car, there is no way I will molest it, it needs to be left alone and enjoyed as is.

Maybe I should add another one to the collection :)

Hey hey! My current inventory is short since I sold the "brownX" last weekend.
Fatrat will never be for sale...until it's for sale.
Current spider will probably go up for sale in a week or so as I have finally had a long discussion with myself about the fact that I no longer enjoy driving spiders.

As a true millennial. FI all the way. I love being able to modify and change parameters on a laptop and see data back. I don't have enough carb experience to deal with those from the early models. And tbh, would rather save brain space for other skills.

Although, I will say, late model bumpers suck.

Let's see, I nice set of patinaed wrenches and screw drivers. A fortune in jets in those nice plastic boxes with all the separated sections, hands reeking of gas as you yank and install jets, lighted magnifier so you can actually read the jet numbers, good hand cleaner.....or a laptop. There is no contest in my mind. Sorry if this post smells of gas, I forgot to wash my hands before using my laptop for it's only purpose, reading forums and ordering parts from MWB.

When you open the engine lid do you want to see some kind of ghastly pipeworks that looks like a miniature version of a Texas refinery or something that looks like it's ready to flow massive amounts of air into the motor?

• Haha
Reactions: 86X
Back