Yugo/128 exhaust pipe

Dalbello

Daily Driver
I have this Yugo exhaust pipe sitting around for years and not sure if it will fit a 128 sedan. I am still working on my 128 sedan and I have a Monza header that I was planning on using. Would this pipe work better than a header or just go with the header on the 128.

I know Jeff had one for sale but does it fit on a 128 or
do you need a Yugo manifold.

thanks
Rino

Last edited:
Well, to the best of my limited knowledge...

You do indeed need an early X1/9 manifold or a Yugo cast iron exhaust manifold, that is in a 4 - 2 configuration. Most X1/9 manifolds are 4 - 1.

This 2 - 1 adapter pipe will usually work on a FWD car like a 128 sedan but is usually too long for an X1/9, as it drops too low in the rear. In this case the adapter would need to be cut shorter... and either the single or a dual input made to connect it to the muffler or mufflers.

The 4 - 2 stock manifold was a good CHEAP (Poor-man's) header for improving flow in engines that had the stock 4 - 1 configuration. They were pretty close in performance as compared to aftermarket tube headers, and at one time were quite plentiful and inexpensive.

Now, not so much, neither cheap or plentiful... and tube headers can be had at reasonable prices. If I had one of these combos though, I'd not hesitate in using it!

I know Jeff had one for sale but does it fit on a 128 or do you need a Yugo manifold.

It will fit on a 128, but you'll need to use either a 1974-only USA 128 4-2 manifold (stock), a Strada 4-2 manifold or the Yugo 4-2 manifold. You'll also need the matching (Yugo or ?) 2-bolt plate piece that connects to the bottom end (for the exhaust pipe) & have an exhaust shop flare the end of your pipe appropriately to match the large "donut" on the end of this 2-1 downpipe.

Ideally, you'd want the first 6"-12" of the Yugo exhaust pipe (already flared & has the plate on it) from a wrecked/junked Yugo to use with this downpipe, & just weld it onto the rest of your exhaust pipe that goes towards the rear of the car. That's why I included that piece with the one I listed/sold here in Oct. 2013:

You do indeed need an early X1/9 manifold or a Yugo cast iron exhaust manifold, that is in a 4 - 2 configuration. Most X1/9 manifolds are 4 - 1. This 2 - 1 adapter pipe will usually work on a FWD car like a 128 sedan but is usually too long for an X1/9...

He's asking about using this on a 128, not an X1/9. DO NOT use an X1/9 4-2 manifold on a 128, the horizontal offset of the lower flange is different. Use the correct matching 4-2 manifold from a 128, Strada or Yugo.

Jeff thanks for the info. It seems that this pipe is not good for me, so I'll just sell it.

This is the header that I have for my 128. It is a Monza, had this for years sitting in the box.

Back