YUGO 1500 up and running

DTohill

80 X1/9 Carb
Pulled an all nighter to get my Yugo running.. Its not on the Rd. But it's running.. Some history: I Bought my Yugo from a guy in Chicago.. it was a good runner with a new paint job. I drove it around for a while in the stock form but wanted more.. So, I decided to do a 1500 swap with a few mods.. Ended up using a single DCNF 42 Weber with proper manifold and headers.. I also had some head work done and installed a performance Cam(street hot cam).. I still need to finish the exhaust and get an alignment. Hopefully it will be on the Rd this weekend...

You'll love the 1500 engine in a Yugo. But keep in mind, these cars can get squirrly on the road. They are so lightweight and coupled with front wheel drive, they are a beast to drive with extra power. Now add a turbocharger to a 1500 engine like I did and it makes matters worse. 75 BHP alone is enought to deal with. Now imagine around 110 BHP.

Front tires on mine wear out every 3000 miles, I have to add air to my fronts about every 100 miles and if you have camber adjustment bolts, the torque will work them loose due to the pulling.

I strongly suggest adding a strut tower brace and secure the upper engine to it. I made one out of a two wheel spacers, water pipe and an X 1/9 dog bone and cylinder head mount. These cars were bad about busting crossmember engine mounts with the 1100 engines. Most likely due to the deleted "dog bone" bracket. I think the reason Zastava did not use one was because it conflicted with the spare tire.

I also added some "skis" that go between the front swaybar mounts and control arms at the body. I had to order these from a guy in Croatia. And an Addco rear swaybar I got from Jeggs.

Basically anything to stiffen up the chassis.

Here's some pics of mine:

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/tu...t=6&page=0&_suid=1405601137584099758288451564

Back