Yugo exhaust manifold 02 sensor question

nichol01

True Classic
I would like to use a yugo exhaust manifold on my 82 fuel injected 1500. My question is could the port on the manifold be used for an o2 sensor?
I have searched but couldn't find any info on this. Wondering if anyone has located the o2 sensor there. Or any thoughts on this.
20190403_122517.jpg 20190403_122443.jpg

You can buy aftermarket O2 sensor bungs to be welded onto a pipe so I imagine one of these welded on that point would be fine and it would be at a good location. Summit racing sells tons of them.

You can buy aftermarket O2 sensor bungs to be welded onto a pipe so I imagine one of these welded on that point would be fine and it would be at a good location. Summit racing sells tons of them.
This location is approx. 1/2" thick. So I was thinking if it is a good location I could just tap threads for the sensor into the cast manifold.

This location is approx. 1/2" thick. So I was thinking if it is a good location I could just tap threads for the sensor into the cast manifold.

Might even be an easier way than that... Or if the existing hole in the manifold is too big already to tap ) I think standard oxygen sensors are M18 x 1.5 ?? ).

Many Toyotas from the 80s and 90s used instead an oxygen sensor with a flange that just bolted on. Like this one:
https://www.densoproducts.com/product.aspx?zpid=17829

That might be easy. And all oxygen sensors worked the same back then so no difference if it was for a Toyota.

Dunno how close it would be to bolting on. I probably have one in stock and could measure the bolt hole spacing for you, if you need.

And....am I the only one that thinks it is funny that our X1/9s are so crappy that....using Yugo parts on it is considered an upgrade LOL....

Last edited:
And....am I the only one that thinks it is funny that our X1/9s are so crappy that....using Yugo parts on it is considered an upgrade LOL....
Development is easier if you start with something that needs it!

Being that it's cast Iron, I don't think welding is an option. Carefully drilling and tapping the bung may be an option and is easy enough to do. The port might be too far up the exhaust stream to effectively mount an O2 sensor, though. That being said, the port location is technically at a point where all four exhaust paths converge, which is what is needed. The best O2 location for that manifold & down pipe combo, would be at the collector where the flow become one. However this may be too far down the exhaust stream and may not be hot enough or provide accurate measurements. The overall design isn't really optimal for an O2 sensor, but that doesn't mean it can't work. I say drill and tap it and see. Worse case is it doesn't read or give skewed data. If this happens a simple block off plate will plug the hole. If it works, then that's great! Due to space constraints, may I suggest using one of the short style O2 sensors usually found on catalytic converters? I'm not certain if those are a higher heat range or not. Best to research that.

Last edited:
I say drill and tap it and see.
I'm going to give it a try. As Eastep stated if it doesn't work I can plate it and move the sensor elsewhere.

The intent of my post was to see if anyone had done this successfully. On one of my searches I found a thread that stated "the Yugo manifold already has a location for an O2 sensor" but no description of location or picture.

Finally getting back to this project. Have completed various other items that needed attention. My motor is back together after a head gasket failure. Now the last thing before starting is the exhaust. I have been back and forth on where to place the o2.sensor. I went to a few shops to see if they would drill and tap the egr hole and they were either to busy or didn't have the drill bit. I didn't want to spend the money on a one time use tool. Also once I get the manifold mounted I would either have to drive it to an exhaust shop with open exhaust or trailer the car. Neither one suited me. So the other day I was looking at exhaust sections you.can buy to.make my own connector section from the downpipe to the original muffler. While I was contemplating I saw my original efi connector pipe. It already has two o2 sensor bungs and good hard bends and it's stainless. I think I can use it and make it work. I'll keep you guys posted only the outcome.
20200817_212423.jpg20200820_103106.jpg20200820_114044.jpg20200817_203126.jpg

While I was contemplating I saw my original efi connector pipe. It already has two o2 sensor bungs

No....it does not !! Only the upper bung in your original efi pipe has the proper thread ( M18 x 1.5 ) to take an available O2 sensor. The lower one - which will have a plug in it - was for the ability to hook up a CO sensor for testing/setting the mixture and is a different thread - 1/4 NPT or something. So dont try to use that bung.....

No....it does not !! Only the upper bung in your original efi pipe has the proper thread ( M18 x 1.5 ) to take an available O2 sensor. The lower one - which will have a plug in it - was for the ability to hook up a CO sensor for testing/setting the mixture and is a different thread - 1/4 NPT or something. So dont try to use that bung.....
I didn't realize that. So thanks for the info. But luck would have it the sections that fit were with the correct bung. Here's a pic. Just got it tacked together with my cheapo welder. I have access to a good welder so I'm going to clean it up and weld it properly.
20200821_123355.jpg20200821_123843.jpg

My initial reason for the post was to see if the egr hole could be used for an o2 sensor. I had the manifold mounted and looks like there is plenty of room for it to work. I changed my mind and plugged the hole using a S.S. 3/8" X 18 pipe plug. The reason I didn't plate the hole is the two mounting bolts broke off and I didn't want to deal with trying to extract them.
20200822_084136.jpg20200822_103239.jpg
Then also used a S.S.1/4" pipe plug in the end of the manifold
20200822_083003.jpg20200822_103254.jpg
Used a section of my cat delete pipe and my old efi exhaust to build my connector.
20200820_103106.jpg20200822_105720.jpg
Cut to fit my heat shield from efi manifold. Finished product.
20200822_105100.jpg

Attachments

• 20200822_104923.jpg
    20200822_104923.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 78
That Ansa is pretty beat. This set up will bolt right up to my factory muffler. I just want to get it back on the road again. I wanna drive it.:cool:
I can relate to that. I'd like to drive mine again before the snow flies, but its doubtful that will happen.

Last edited:
Back