Yugo Head Bolt Torque?

Joshua Stinnett

Daily Driver
I'm replacing the head on an '88 GVL (1.1L) after a bent valve without a Yugo shop manual. I'm familiar with 128 series engines through my X1/9, but seeing as the X has head studs and the Yugo has bolts I'm wondering if the torque specs are different. Thanks.

Yugo could be TTY bolts and head gasket requirement, given the vintage of the car... so probably something like 20lb/ft, 30 lb/ft then 90 degrees and another 90 degrees... followed by another 90 in 1000km.

if you use TTY system (torque to yield or sometimes called torque and angle) bolts should be replaced, and head gasket is a particular construction.

If you use a regular tightening method the value is 61lb/ft from memory, and initial torque, retorque after first heat cycle and retorque again after 500km or so. But check the bolts your using havent stretched, all threads (bolts and block too) are clean and lightly oiled/drained, or you could be doing the job for a second / or third time....

SteveC

Thanks, I read about the TTY method in the X1/9 manual and was a bit confused.. I've never used a system like that before. The bolts aren't stretched at all, so I guess I'll just reuse them with the regular tightening method. I'm glad I asked first!

Thanks, I read about the TTY method in the X1/9 manual and was a bit confused.. I've never used a system like that before. The bolts aren't stretched at all, so I guess I'll just reuse them with the regular tightening method. I'm glad I asked first!
With Torque to Yield, the bolts do not stretch enough that you can see it, so I would be very hesitant to reuse these bolts.

Back