Yugo ICM and the pink wire

rlingren

Daily Driver
My '74 wiring is a mess. Some wires were melted and connectors also. I am rewiring around these. Today I discovered that there is no Pink wire going to the coil. I found the pink wire where is connected to the ignition switch but after the wire goes up in to the dash area I lost it. Where should the pinl wire come out on the fire wall in the engine compartment. There is no pink wire visible anywhere. So with no pink wire to the coil I can't start the car. The ICM harness is also damaged. Where can I find the harness?

Thank you
Ron

The pink wire is likely hiding behind

the insulation on the right rear side.
It comes through and out the firewall from within the spare tire area, then slips behind the insulation where it appears at the right side of the engine bay. There's also another wire that goes along with it but the color escapes me at the moment.

Pic from my 78

I am not sure if the wires are the same for 74 and 78 coils, but here is the coil on my 78:

EICinto78-3.jpg

Looking at the picture above, there is a brown/white wire and a green wire coming off the left post of the coil. There is a pink wire and a blue/balck wire coming off the right post.

I don't know what they are for, but there ya' go. :)

That is the one that is missing on my car. Where does it come from?

There's a bundle of wires that passes through the firewall in front of the engine, and the pink wire is one of those. On one of my 74s the wire is not pink, so you might want to check any stray wires of any color that find passing through that firewall, see if you find one that goes to +12 when the ignition is switched on. Also check the connector at the end of the wire from the ignition switch, see what color the wire on the other side of that connector is.

If worst comes to worst, you can always run another wire from the ignition switch back through the tunnel to the coil.

If you're going to be tracing many wires

Search Google for "wire toner". Mostly used by phone technicians, very handy to find where a wire goes, especially if a PO has spliced in a variety of colors.

You clip the "transmitter" to the known end of the wire. Whenever the "receiver" is anywhere along the wire you'll hear a warbling tone.

Back