Yugo speedo problem

Kenny_McCormic

Low Mileage
88 GV 4 speed

Car came with no gear, gear carrier and cable, and the speedo was broken(magnet came off). The bolt that holds the gear carrier in the trans was sheared off. I scratched my head on that one for a while, fixed the speedo, and put a new gear, used carrier, and freshly lubed used cable in it. Gear in the trans looked good. The second I moved the car it did the same damn thing again, shoved the gear and carrier out 1/4", shearing off the bolt.

WTF?

What would be pushing on the gear carrier? it shouldn't move. You must have split the case to put it in. Did you rotate the diff to see if something looked weird?

Got a photo of the damage?

I have more of all those parts....

Jon

Found the problem, diff pin sticks way out of the carrier on one side, it held in place by a slot in the pin and a piece of sheet metal bolted to the carrier, the pin is clearanced on one side for the speedo drive, it spun the pin, one of the spider gears is locked to it. Time to hunt down a transaxle. Though it did survive a small burnout at woodward in that condition, if you heard a crowd chanting YUGO YUGO YUGO in Birmingham yesterday, that was me(burnout was done after I found the spun pin, not before).

Back