Yugo wanted

From the Mira forum...

There's Jon's Cabrio, as well as this '87 GV:

http://forum.mirafiori.com/mirafior...r.Cars_&msg=43847&show=all&depth=all&frames=1
[SIZE=+1]1987 Yugo GV[/SIZE]
Email: whazammo*gmail.com
Date: Sun Sep 04 09:59 PDT 2011

a daily driver, one of the last on the road in Oregon, de smogged and re carbed
to make streetable, all stock, have a complete x19 1500 w/5 speed ready on the
floor to refresh and load, (waiting for the 1100 to quit), now the clutch is on its
last legs, so, the time is ripe for a winter conversion to autocrosser/rally/etc.
$850 for it all, and I have quite a few spares, glass, brakes, miscellaney...

email only, located south of Bend, Oregon

Jon's Cabrio:

http://forum.mirafiori.com/mirafior...r.Cars_&msg=43626&show=all&depth=all&frames=1

[SIZE=+1]Yugo Cabrio, Last shot before Ebay[/SIZE]
Email: fiatpwr*yahoo.com
Date: Tue Aug 02 03:49 PDT 2011

1990 Yugo Cabrio History I purchased this car in January of 1999, with 33,220 miles on it. Sounds like a great deal, except the Previous Owner bought it at an insurance auction. It was a 'recovered theft' and from the looks of things, the perps had a good time with it. The rear body had some damage, the rear side trim was missing, and many interior pieces were broken including the ignition switch. The motor was seized, and the 2nd and 3rd gear were broken preventing any shift movement.

Over the next couple of years I rebuilt it. At the time a close friend and I built and campaigned an EP yugo in many SCCA events, including the 'Nationals' in Topeka Kansas. Much of what we learned building that car went into this car. The Idea for this Cabrio was to have a spirited streetcar that could be used at the occasional Auto Cross event. I have driven this motor to 3 Carlisle Import shows, and 3 Fiat Lancia Unlimited Freak Outs in Buffalo and West Virginia for a total of 10,000 miles. In Buffalo the car took 1st and 2nd in the modified class at the Autocross. That’s right, the fastest Fiats back then were Yugo's. In 2002 I put the car on the Chassis Dyno at Carlisle. It returned 78hp at the wheels with dual carbs. The 1300 head is the big limiter. A 1500 head would be better.

Drivetrain: The engine was removed and replaced with a 1500 fiat unit from a 1981 Fiat x1/9. The block was disassembled and flex-honed. No cylinder bore ridges were found so a rebore was not necessary. New rings were installed as well as new bearings and some fresh paint was applied to the block. The cylinder head is the original part (yugo 1.3). It has been shaved and port matched and all casting marks were cleaned up. Originally I installed a Faza 35/75 cam with a 34 DMTR Weber Carb, but quickly moved to a 40/80 Faza cam and dual 40 DCNF Weber Carbs.

The accelerator cable bracket was modified to use the stock cable and the thermostat housing was modified to eliminate the coolant passage to the intake manifold. After a decade of occasional use, the dual carbs need attention. I have recently gone back to a single 34 DMTR setup and all the modified dual carb parts have been returned to stock. In early development the clutch slipped pretty bad on demand so I installed a Fiat 1500 flywheel that was 'street lightened' by PBS. I also installed a 1300 ring gear so I could use the Yugo starter. Expecting bad gas mileage, I installed the 12-gallon Fuel tank from an EFI yugo. However on a trip it will return 30 mpg. The single carb gets about 25mpg. This tank was restored and rubber dipped by a ‘Renew’ facility in 2009.

The Exhaust starts with a F.I. Yugo manifold and down pipe, gutted cat, and 2" mandrel bent and welded center pipe with an Ansa dual tip muffler. It sounds great with out being too loud. If your state requires a sniff test, you will fail.

I have done many transmission trials. Currently it has a stock yugo 3.76 5-speed that I rebuilt in 2005, no expense was spared, everything that was at all worn was replaced, and the case was painted.

Suspension: Up front I installed Kyb GR-2 rear X1/9 struts with used springs and perches. This lowers the car significantly (watch the speed bumps!). The tie rod ends and control arms were new at this time as well. The Tie rods were shortened ½" to compensate for the lowering. In the rear a custom 3 leaf spring was made, and lowering blocks were installed to bring the rear down even with the front. O.E. Fiat Strada shocks were installed. In 2010 the rear a-arms were replaced with NOS parts. I also installed an Adco rear sway bar. The stock Adco Yugo bar has ends that are bent at a 45 degree angle. This is to accommodate the stock ride height. Because the car was lowered, I modified the ends using rod ends. The wheels are 13x5.5 Lancia Scorpion Alloys with Abarth center caps and 185-60 Yokahama AVS tires. It has a custom front strut bar. This car handles extremely well.

Brakes: The brakes are stock, discs up front drums in the rear. The rear brakes were replaced in 2010. The only change is that the front rubber lines are rears (a little shorter) do to the lowering. The stock hoses rub on the drive shaft on the passenger side. Because the car is so low, the brakes work much better than a stock yugo. The system was bleed and flushed in 2010.

Interior: The interior is stock except for the gauges. I installed a Speedometer and tachometer from a Fiat 124 Spider as well as fuel and water gauges and a Clock from the 124. It has an in dash Sony CD player and four speakers. All electrics work. The Cabrio has Marchal fog lights and intermittent wipers.

Exterior: The paint is in excellent shape and very presentable. With the exception of the rear fenders and the rear fiberglass panel, the paint is original. The ground effects are a little worn and could use a repaint I purchased the missing side trim from Zastava. They do not come painted, so I haven’t installed them. These parts will come with the car The top is original, I have done some sewing on some seams myself, and it still looks good. It could be replaced. The top will need to be custom made, as the replacements (if you find one) are poor copies that don’t fit (too short) and have a vinyl window instead of the stock glass. I'm not sure these cars were ever watertight; this one leaks around the side windows in a hard rain. One of the rear side windows broke some years ago (typical) so I made plexi windows. The power top motor was not with the car when I purchased it. I do have one, but wouldn't recommend using it, as the slightest misalignment breaks the side windows.

In closing, the car has not been used in several years. I have spent considerable time refreshing the mechanicals. The carb jetting is not correct, so trailering this car is necessary. Asking $2500 The car is located in Royalton Vermont.

(edit: price lowered to $2k)

Back