zastava/fiat 128 1.6 turbo build

Joshe

Low Mileage
Hello guys! This is me and my fathers project car. First owner was my grandpa, well taken care of through the years. As said in the title, it soon will be a 1.6l 8v turbo engine, using stock internals and a garrett td04-09b. Currently only mods we've done are 14" wheels with 185 55 tires, 257mm front discs and calipers both from a tempra 1.8 105hp. Engine got fully torn down last weekend and is sent for cylinder honing

Attachments

• FB_IMG_16655054761501944.jpg
    FB_IMG_16655054761501944.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0749.jpg
    IMG_0749.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0689.jpeg
    IMG_0689.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0688.jpeg
    IMG_0688.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0692.jpeg
    IMG_0692.jpeg
    390.3 KB · Views: 129
Small upgrades on the build. Got it prepared for it's first race ever, basically a dream come true for me. Lowered the rear by 60mm, bought different front springs and cut them by 1.5 turn, got all the seats out and everything that was in the interior and in the trunk, removed the spare tire, and installed a sparco sprint l seat.
The car understeered quite a lot as you can see in the video below, also had quite the workout with the steering wheel since it's very sluggish.
For anyone planning to get the 128 racing autocross, from my experience the best and first mods to do are a different steering rack with shorter ratio (opel corsa c steering rack should fit without major problems), rear sway bar is a must also and the seat helped quite a bit to stay in place and focus on the driving.
zastava 128 slalom trka 31.07.2023.jpg

Hello guys! This is me and my fathers project car. First owner was my grandpa, well taken care of through the years. As said in the title, it soon will be a 1.6l 8v turbo engine, using stock internals and a garrett td04-09b. Currently only mods we've done are 14" wheels with 185 55 tires, 257mm front discs and calipers both from a tempra 1.8 105hp. Engine got fully torn down last weekend and is sent for cylinder honing
I'll look forward to the engine build. I am doing a similar turbo build on a X1/9 1500 SOHC engine. Like you, I am retaining the stock internals and using a small turbo (mine if from a Uno Turbo). With relatively low boost and a good FI system (with proper tune) I think the stock engines will hold up well. :)

I'll look forward to the engine build. I am doing a similar turbo build on a X1/9 1500 SOHC engine. Like you, I am retaining the stock internals and using a small turbo (mine if from a Uno Turbo). With relatively low boost and a good FI system (with proper tune) I think the stock engines will hold up well. :)
well, the stock rods and pistons on the 1500/1600 motors are forged, which is a big plus for turbo builds, also low compression on them is another benefit. From the bigger displacement you should be looking at 145hp minimum. What FI system will you be using?

Fulda ecocontrol hp front and matador mp47 rear.... might have to do with the asphalt being way too hot and I felt the tires overheat after the first lap
That's a big part of your handling problem right there... Neither one of those are good tires for serious driving... For good times in something short like an autocross, you're going to need an R compound tire like a Toyo R888R or a Nankang AR 1.... They also should be heat cycled before driving them hard....

well, the stock rods and pistons on the 1500/1600 motors are forged, which is a big plus for turbo builds, also low compression on them is another benefit. From the bigger displacement you should be looking at 145hp minimum. What FI system will you be using?
The later US spec X1/9s came with a electronic FI system. I am modifying it to use a aftermarket "standalone" (programmable) ECU and related components. It also controls the ignition which is crank triggered. I've also done several things to help out its longevity/reliability; large intercooler, oil cooler, cooling system upgrades, tons of engine bay ventilation, heat shields, etc. Plus some basic improvements to the engine; head studs with a multilayer-steel head gasket, very mild porting, lubrication system "blueprinting", fresh rebuild, etc. Basically trying to give it the best chance of avoiding detonation and surviving.

The later US spec X1/9s came with a electronic FI system. I am modifying it to use a aftermarket "standalone" (programmable) ECU and related components. It also controls the ignition which is crank triggered. I've also done several things to help out its longevity/reliability; large intercooler, oil cooler, cooling system upgrades, tons of engine bay ventilation, heat shields, etc. Plus some basic improvements to the engine; head studs with a multilayer-steel head gasket, very mild porting, lubrication system "blueprinting", fresh rebuild, etc. Basically trying to give it the best chance of avoiding detonation and surviving.
Water injection would help a lot 🤔

Back