ZERO RUST?

allansieben

X1/9 Time
Alright...Please don't attack me people! I'm just stating an observation.

Don't you hate it when....

An Ebay seller states that his/her car has zero rust?
What does that really mean, and by who's definition?

I define "zero rust" as just that. Zero, nadda, not one spec of rust can be found anywhere on the entire car.

Yet when you start parusing the details of the photos supplied, you almost invaribly start to notice surface rust and bubbles under the paint and in conspicuous places.

So wht is your definatition of "zero rust?"

As far as I'm concerned, It's a safe bet to claim that ALL of our cars have some rust. My X1/9 is a very solid car, but you can't help but find area's under the car where there is noticable rust. The rear crossmember is usually a suspected culprit, or the surface under the rear trunk almost always exposes some sort of corrosion.

I'm sure that many of you who have purchased and sold a multitude of Italain cars would agree (right JJ?). There is no such thing as zero rust!

The only exception that I could see is that if someone where to strip down their cars to bare metal and place it on a rotisserie and completely go through the metal work.

Anyways...Just some food for thought on something that got me thinking.

Allan

When selling an X1/9.........!

.......So wht is your definatition of "zero rust?".......

.......like in this case, the Ebay seller HOPES he will attract some poor dumb buyer who knows nix about X's, OR he's hoping like HELL that his recent bog/paint job on the car will be hidden for long enough for the car to sell!! :nod:
Me cynical? Nah, just realistic!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Never seen it.

Just as some people are colorblind, others lack the ability to see the reddish-brown light reflected by iron oxides. It is generally believed that this trait evolved in the northeastern US, where it provides a survival advantage - the rust-blind are less likely to suffer debilitating mental illnesses, are happier, calmer, and enjoy their cars more.

Interestingly, there is clinical evidence suggesting that some southwesterners are afflicted with a form of iron oxide hypersensitivity; exposures to even trace amounts causes restlessness, anxiety, and in extreme cases an uncontrollable impulse to grind.

Back