Zinc Plating?

petex19

True Classic
I want to get some parts zinc plated so where do members get their zinc plating done or do you do it yourself?

I found some home lab "Youtube" videos that I may try.

'PeteX1/9

I've been using Van Nuys Plating for years. They still do Cadmium plating. http://www.vannuysplating.com/
DCP_1822.jpg

I want to get some parts zinc plated so where do members get their zinc plating done or do you do it yourself?

I found some home lab "Youtube" videos that I may try.

'PeteX1/9

Waterloo Electroplating

www.[B]waterlooelectroplating[/B].com/

It costs $80 a batch for zink dichromate (yellow zink). I have never sent enough to go above the batch price, and has included 90 small to medium pieces.

Likely there is something closer to Kingston, although it is still southwest Ontario.

I will be doing some in the next month or so.

Paul Davock

Detroit area plater

I have some parts over at Plating Specialties in Madison Heights, MI right now being zinc and yellow dichromate plated. Contact info below. It's not easy to find a good plater that will work with an individual with a small batch of parts, but these guys were happy to do it.

For an additional charge they will properly bake heat-treated parts. Any bolts above grade 8.8 should be baked as should any springs. FYI parts must be baked within four hours of plating and before the dichromate.

In general, the shape of the parts you want plated will determine the process to some extent. For things like screws, bolts, and small parts, barrel plating is the way to go. However, barrel plating does have size limitations so things like window tracks or other long parts need to be rack plated. What I liked about this place is that they do both rack and barrel so they could take care of all my parts.

Should have everything back next week. I'll let you know how they came out.

Plating Specialties
http://www.platspec.com/
Ask for Derrick.

Paul Valente

DYI plating

On one of the vintage motorcycle forums I frequent, they have lengthy discussions on how to do your own zinc plating. At first glance it seems very simple, but the results have been varied. The bottom line (for me anyway) would be to send it out if you: have a lot of parts to, have a large item to plate (i.e. bigger than nuts and bolts), care about getting a good result, and/or do not want to spend more time and money just to say you did it yourself. I'm not saying don't try it, just forwarding what I've gathered from the experiences of several others. A few finally got nice results after some 'trial and error' failures.

Very pleased with the results from Plating Specialties. Derek said he doesn't take credit cards so you'd have to work out the payment (COD, money order or something). Parts were on-time and under the estimate by 20%.

67913_580577855303043_935585809_n.jpg

734806_580577881969707_1582056737_n.jpg

Great looking hardware Paul

I especially love those re-plated window guides. :love:

Wow!

I always marvel at this. Really makes things look new.

I have a question about the process, do you clean and/or sandblast the parts before sending them in or do they handle it all? Thanks for further info.

glass blasted plus

I send mind glass blasted (fine beads), and after that touch them with a fine soft wire wheel. It shines the surface for better plating.

Some shops will do it for you at a price. Mine does not.

Paul Davock

Prep

I did all my own prep work. If you blast the parts, do like PaulD said and shine them up afterwords with a wire wheel. They need to shine when you drop them off in order to have them shine when you pick them up.

Also, the plating is very thin (a few microns) so don't expect it will hide anything.

If you want someone to do the prep work, there is a guy that offers a complete service. You send him your old parts and he cleans them and plates them. He's not a plating shop so he's limited in the sizes he can do and he does not bake heat treated parts but he does have a way to address HE. Would be interested in hearing if anyone has used him.
http://www.yellowzincplating.com/

Back