budgetzagato

Administrator
Found this while searching for Vanagon related stuff, it would be a good drop-in solution for anyone who isn't too handy with electrical to solve a weak starter solenoid circuit.
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonheadlightrelays/hard-start-relays/hard-start-relay

The price is pretty good considering the time and materials involved.

HardStartRelay2011.jpg

Thats what I'm talking about

Yea grate find.any time some one is having hard start or click before start problem I'm always trying to tell people put a relay on it but like you said anyone who isn't too handy with electrical its hard to explain with this there is vary little to explain and you put a grate heading on the post to easy to find .
Thanks

No kidding...

$18 bucks (plus USPS priority shipping) and you get professional crimps, insulators, wire loom, adhesive heat shrink, 40A relay, fused power lead, etc. I would charge at least $40 for this considering the time and effort to find and assemble the parts.

BTW, Vanagon owners who make this kind of stuff are generally top-notch, usually some sort of retired engineer-type who does this for fun.

While I was there I picked up a set of the headlight relays for my '88 Vanagon, simply couldn't resist.

Anyone interested in a group buy?

I've gotten in touch with the guy making these and he's offered to customize it (wire length and/or connectors) to the X for us:grouphug:.

It would be great if we could get about 10 folks interested.
I'll get one and see if it needs anything different than how it's already setup.

Let me know!

Greg, I'm certainly a starter for one........!!

It would be great if we could get about 10 folks interested.
I'll get one and see if it needs anything different than how it's already setup.Let me know
!

Any chance of you estimating the postage of one of those to Wellington, New Zealand?

cheers, Ian - NZ

custom run sounds good

Price and item seem right to me. Count on me to be added for custom run. Let me know….

Enjoy the holidays.

Vincent dba enzo mac

How is it wired?

The thing you have to keep in mind about our starters is that you cannot bypass the starter solenoid like you can in a lot of (most? -all?) other cars.

The starter solenoid is grounded through the starter motor coil. If you wire a relay to give you more power at the starter, you have to run it to the start terminal (original connection) on the solenoid. If you try to bypass the solenoid contacts by wiring directly to the starter motor -and have the solenoid coil in parallel- the solenoid won't fire; you'll just spin the starter motor.

Put me down for one Greg

If it comes to be, I will join in on the buy. Thanks for pointing this out Greg... my electrical skills are only good for starting small fires. :mad4:

:)

That will work

It will work that way.

It won't cure/bypass any problems in the solenoid contacts, but the way our starters are set up, nothing will.

What this will do (as long as it is wired in correctly) is resolve any wiring issues from the battery to the starter switch and/or from the starter switch to the starter.

Obviously we have enough interest...

I've ordered one at the regular price to test fit, if anything needs changing or not I'll advise the seller and go from there. I'll post the group buy price before committing anyone.

Update

I've ordered one and will report back as to fitment. If anything needs alteration the creator is willing to modify for us. Also, there is a few days' delay as new sheathing is arriving to supplant the split loom stuff. Should be much better and more stock looking.

The directions are super easy. I'll note any important differences for the novices among us.

The price will be less than $20 including postage so a considerable savings. More on that after the details are ironed out. :)

Got it...

This is the newer version, with mesh wire sleeving. 40A relay, standard blade fuse holder. I'll test fit it this weekend and then report back, and take orders for the bulk buy.

HardStart2.jpg

I'm considering asking if we can get them without the wire covering, if anyone else is interested in this let me know. It would be another potential savings, the stuff seems labor intensive.

Stay tuned!

Back