I can appreciate what this guy is doing.

In other words, I like what he's doing. Good attention to detail.
I have the same "issue" when building Insertable Heatlight Harnesses.
I could use black tape rather than Heat shrink. (for example) Heat shrink is better so I use it.
Ceramic Headlight sockets are better so I use them.

The whole idea is to make a BETTER insert. Looks like this guy believes the same. I like his work, :headbang:

For the price difference, I'd rather he does a better job rather than a cheaper one. My :2c: but your decision.
I think these are a steal of a deal to begin with. Also, these are usually located in a hostile environments.

Thanks for posting!

Keep covering

I share Bob Opinion for Good attention to detail and I think it's better to keep wire covering they protect the wire from abrasion.

For the difference in price I prefer to pay little bit more and keep the covering.

But I will respect the majority.
Greg I appreciate your dedication:thumbsup:

Yeah... me too...

I HATE ta say it... but Bob is RIGHT on all counts... damn!

(HAHAHA!)

Frankly, I can't believe he puts all this together for 20 bucks! 30A relays alone are running about $7.50 and he's using 40s. I mean, building ONE for yourself, unless you did a bulk buy of components, one would be hard pressed to meet or beat the material cost alone!

OK then...

I'll plan on ordering the ones as pictured. Having seen the relay harness up close I agree that it's a very good price. For that price I could get the relay and the fuse holder and some of the wire, that's it. No margin for assembly etc. So even though I could build my own I'll be using one (two actually, one for the X and one for my Vanagon) of these.

Great stuff, Greg.................!!

...I'll plan on ordering the ones as pictured.....

Will we pay YOU directly for these? If so, can you estimate postage to NZ, and I will put the all-up payment to you via Paypal.
I will need your Paypal addy to do this - can you PM me with this info, please Greg?

cheers, Ian - NZ

Not too late at all

I'm getting 18 for now, will sell them to whomever wants them here and also to FEN members .

Yes

I'll get that info for you as soon as I know they will work. PM your delivery address to me if you like for an accurate price.

Just let us know when and where to send the payment

I'm getting 18 for now, will sell them to whomever wants them here and also to FEN members .

I want one for sure and I will buy a second if you have extra after everyone gets a chance.

Thanks for setting this up Greg.

One for me please

Count me in for one, can do paypal and have P.O. Box in Sumas.
Thanks
Deane

One for me as well....

I'll take one of these babies.

I'll PayPal as soon as possible, after I get home.

I leave Kandahar in the morning and will be back home in Alberta late Wednesday.

Thanks,

Update... (dialup warning)

I test fit the relay and harness this evening, sorry for the wait. Looks like it will work just fine as designed. Double checking the price with the fabricator before committing.

This is the kit as delivered:
IMG_9382.jpg

The kit contains instructions, the relay and fused harness, a mounting screw:
IMG_9383.jpg

The directions are simple enough:
IMG_9384.jpg

I started by disconnecting the battery ground as directed:
IMG_9387.jpg

I found it easy enough to go through the spare tire well access panel:
IMG_9388.jpg

Here's the part of the starter we're concerned with, the large relay power supply wire goes on the indicated bolt with the battery and alternator wires. I hid mine under the insulating boot with the others:
IMG_9391.jpg

Here's the relay kit's female "output" wire connected where the car's "start" wire connects (you know, the one that falls off):
IMG_9396.jpg

Here's the relay's signal wire connected to the car's "start" wire. I trimmed the white plastic cover a little to accept the fat late model wire terminal:
IMG_9399.jpg

Here's where I mounted the relay in my car, it's in place of the injector fan relay which is simply pivoted up above the hard-start relay. I ran the wiring though where the large grommet for the accelerator cable etc. go through. I also drilled out the relay ground wire eyelet to 5mm so it would fit the stud. The stock nut has a serrated washer base for good electrical contact. A twist of the key verified it works as intended. This simply modification tales the potentially heavy load off the ignition switch, to further protect the delicate innards of the ignition switch. A great accompaniment to the BWM and HRM.
IMG_9403.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good to me Greg,

Nice job BTW.
Let me know the final verdict. (shipped price)

Great documentation Greg with pictures
I like where you put the relay, not expose to bad weather.
Thanks

WOW! Great job with the install and write-up! Looks like that set-up would not only do exactly as you described, but could easily be integrated into a security system. I did one on my '87 back in Germany only because I drove up into the Czech Republic alot. Used it to run power door locks and an ignition lock-out that could only be overridden by turning off the alarm. I took the siren out of the system, so it was more of a "stealth alarm" and couldn't annoy everyone else while draining my battery...

Pricing... ah now I get it...

I feel a little obtuse, I misunderstood one of our earlier email exchanges where he quoted the price to me as "including shipping" but he meant the shipping to me not the shipping to everyone else. If that makes sense.

My "group buy" price would be $17, so it looks like it would be $22.85 including priority postage in the continental US and paypal fees of nearly $1. For those of you in Canada and elsewhere, I'd have to calculate separately.

Unless there's an angle to this I'm not seeing, not much of a savings over "manufacturer direct" at $23.50. So, I think folks should just contact him directly.

Still a good deal and a good idea. This would have been better if we were more like a "normal" club and I wasn't then sending them out to everyone.

I suppose if we went with non-priority shipping in a bubble envelope we could save a little. Let me know if anyone wants to go that route.

Here's the link again:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonheadlightrelays/hard-start-relay

Back