The wife wants me to get the AC going again

Yes, I imagine the compressor is pain.

Just loosening it for belt changes is painful enough. I recall having it off, just not disconnected from the system, before. So it can't be horrifically bad. On the other hand, I have noticed a number of subtle differences with the 79 compared to later models, and the compressor bracket, though very similar, has a few differences. I wonder if, like several other things I can think of, Fiat manage to make changes that made servicing later models more difficult! I have a story about the heater valve in that regard that I will reserve for later...

My main concern right now is that I noticed that mine does not have service ports on the compressor hose fittings. I've had it serviced many times before, so I presume the service ports on the head of the compressor were used? This might be one area where I will want to make up new hoses. The engine compartment has got to have been hard of the hoses anyway.

A double condenser was what I was wondering about too for Hussein's

condenser mod. But I too was thinking that maybe the air flow might be adversely affected. There is almost room for two though, certainly with a few short spacers on the grill mounting. Which reminds me that I probably should take mine off and give it a good fin straightening and cleaning. It looks practically black with years of road film, and there are several swaths of mashed fins.

Back