1603cc engine build

Yep, that's the baby!!! Oh well, can only hope that your "Hopefully this is the fix" trick works!! Did you also shout some threatening swear words at the starter motor?? :eek:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Well matey, as you know, as a retired rally car and race car driver and a retired rugby player and now a retired coach (what is the world coming to???) my collection of swear words might be considered somewhat extensive. What I could have done was include a photo of my mangled knuckle as a result of getting too close to the cutting disk while I was trimming that stud, I can neither confirm nor deny it may have inspired a stream of expletives...

I'm hoping this is indeed THE fix. I really want to get this new engine fired up!!!

Cheers,

Rob

You people with a lift look at doing the starter from the bottom. I have done mine from the top (no lift). Remove radiator hoses, plug #4, air induction, fast idle valve, (and a few other things I think) and it comes right out the top.

You people with a lift

I wish I had a lift Rod. My car is on axle stands and I'm crawling around on the floor. I thought about trying to get it out from above for about a nanosecond, but there's just too much stuff to move or remove.

I'll put a lift on my chrissie wish list. ;)

oh.. guess I am getting old. all the stuff is way easer to remove then getting on/off the floor.

(Had had to remove the starter a few times.) (Last time because the start wire terminal broke off). (did you know you can put the X in 3rd and with the door open push start it by your self.)

With my painted transmission, I was not getting a good enough ground for the starter to crank. Some careful paint removal at the bold heads remedied this nicely.

Paul

Yep, trimming the stud, fitting a thinner nut and applying some plastidip as an insulator.

I had just enough time today to turn the engine over in short bursts until the oil pressure light went out. :)

Tomorrow I'll check the oil level and double check the static timing.

I have a similar unit on my 850 and have worried about that same issue, its right tight against it. Hmmm

Yep, trimming the stud, fitting a thinner nut and applying some plastidip as an insulator.

I had just enough time today to turn the engine over in short bursts until the oil pressure light went out. :)

Tomorrow I'll check the oil level and double check the static timing.

Hey Rob,

good news that you found the issue but I'd be a bit concerned about the lack of clearance between the stud and the chassis. The plastidip will not protect you very well (particularly as the engine will move to a certain extent) and that is an unprotected circuit that connects directly to the battery. I have heard of engine fires caused by shorted starter cables. It would be very good insurance (and peace of mind) to either create a bigger clearance or put in some form of rigid insulator.

Cheers,
Dom.

Gday Dom,

There is now good clearance between that stud and the engine block. I'm confident this mod will work out just fine. A bit of a bloody nuisance to have to make any sort of modification to a new part, but then so much of this build is bespoke anyway.

I'll hopefully have a video for you soon mate!

Karl, it might be worth doing a bit of trimming. Which 850 do you have? I almost bought a Sport Coupe as my first car, but got a Mini instead, British racing green, while roof, 998cc. I loved it but have always lusted after an 850 coupe.

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited:
I have a series 2 Sport Coupe, 7"mains 5" driving lights and four tail lights. 817cc of rompin stomping Pygmy ponies under its back deck

Absolutely love it, I bought it for a song in 1990 and have been thankful for having ever since.

I'm envious Karl! Would love to see some pics.

Having spun the engine over to pump oil through it I decided to check the valve clearances and found 4 of them were off. So the cambox is off so I can change the lash caps. Tedious but necessary.

Huge congrats. Who counts the days? Who counts the money? :)

Way to go. I hope the tuning takes a little less time.

"Finally. It's only taken 1,210 days..."
Yup, sounds healthy, Rob! Now you can open up all those invoices and compare how your bank balance looks, mate!! :eek: :(

cheers, Ian - NZ

Finally. It's only taken 1,210 days...

Dynamic mode!

Now for some tuning.

Cheers,

Rob

Mate,

that is pretty damn impressive! After all the modifications that you made to that engine (I particularly liked the conical valve springs), to have it start without any issue is a testament to all the planning that you put in. How does the valve train sound?

Looking forward to seeing some more (and eventually some dyno results)!

Cheers,
Dom.

Back