1603cc engine build

Great work Steve! :D

Although I'm running quite different carbs, I'm using 36mm venturis without issues.

Cheers,

Rob

Have you looked at the combination DCNF stacks and that beautiful australian airbox you have?
Isn‘t the airbox too low to fit the stacks inside them?
I am currently looking for a solution for an airbox while fitting those same stacks.
The stacks are about 42 mm high and I read you want about 35-40mm space above the top of the stacks...

At the moment running the stock Marelli S135 (non vacuum advance) distributor body with a pertronix optical trigger kit. Static set at 10 degrees, mechanical advance is about 28 degrees from memory, so total advance will be 38 and as per stock is all in at about 3500rpm or so... that's one of the things we are going to change. There's another model of Marelli S135xx distributor that uses a 22 degree mechanical advance plate, and we will try the timing at around 15 degrees static...as the low revs response could be improved a little.

Wondering about the math - the only chart I can find for distributors is the Bosch (X1/9) :

I would think the advance curve would be the same, whether supplied by Bosch or Marelli, no? If you've set static at 10 instead of 5, then I'd expect you've lost advance up top...

X19_LH24_00120.png

Rob,

I am not sure how fast the X was going, but it looks like your shirt went plaid. ;)

Thanks Lawsa, as you can hear it pulls all the way to 8,000rpm without any hesitations.

We were in your part of the world recently, such a stunningly beautiful country!

Hey Rob, what parts of NZ did you travel to?
I would like to have caught up with you (and Yep - talked about X's :rolleyes:)

cheers, IanL - NZ

Hi Ian, we did a quick loop from Auckland to Waitomo, Taupo, Rotorua, and back to Auckland before heading on to Melbourne. So unfortunately not really close to you. Maybe we will have time to head down your way the next we visit New Zealand.

The new engine is approaching 9000 miles.

I think it’s the best engine I’ve ever built.

Hey Rob,

good to hear from you and good that the car is still going well. I was a bit worried that you Alfa mate had killed it ;)

In any case, I think you should bring it over here where we don't have speed limits ;)

Dom.

Back