Has anyone done a custom manifold?

Waterbury

True Classic
I see it's popular to use the MK1 Turbo manifold for turbo applications, but seeing as those are getting harder to come by, has anyone done a custom build on the stock manifold? Curiosity killed the cat on this one but it'd be cool to see what some of you have done out there.

IIRCC there is a tubular turbo manifold offered from one of our vendors. I've seen a stainless one on eBay a while back.

Final assembly.jpg
Final assemby 2.jpg
P3100149.JPG
I made a fuel injection manifold for my 79 X

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

has anyone done a custom build
I was planning to build some custom tubular manifolds for both turbo and NA applications. The starting point was to get some proper flanges made. Here is the thread on that:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/manifold-flanges.32715/
As you can see that thread died without success so the project has stalled.

IIRCC there is a tubular turbo manifold offered from one of our vendors. I've seen a stainless one on eBay a while back.
I've not heard of this but would like to. Please tell more.

Steel intake manifolds are not that unusual, Mark Allison offers several different ones for the twin cam motors. As Jeff states once you have the flange you can then build up all manner of solutions. Steel is nice as most anyplace can weld in bungs for injectors etc as well as varying the length of runners etc.

Seems to be a hint there about getting that flange worked on...especially since I can get a part lasered out. I will try to get at it next month one way or another.

The hint wasn't intentional and there is no rush (and its not all on you), but some day I would to take a shot at this project. I just have a million more projects to do first. :oops:

Steve H had a custom manifold on his DSP car. Search for pics of it. Might give some ideas.

There are a couple of long Xweb threads from several years ago where we went through the whole design process (for a NA application). I'd follow those specs, it was calculated for a street build on a relatively stock engine. As for the turbo application, I have not done the homework yet to determine the exact layout but for the most part the design specifics are not as critical.

That's a good example (above) of what I was just saying, for a turbo application the design is simpler. Things like equal length runners and 'balanced' pulses, etc aren't as critical when boosted. Having the strength to support the weight of the turbo and withstand the excessive heat becomes more critical than ultimate flow to an extent. Some even say it is better to have abrupt angles and flow disturbances to break up the pulses before the exhaust enters the turbo. That is why the use of cast iron manifolds is popular for turbo applications (like the reference of using the Uno Turbo manifold in the original post). They are strong, withstand the heat, and can offer decent internal flow in a relatively compact package that fits the constraints of the engine bay. Although some custom tubular turbo manifolds do attempt to design optimal flowing equal length runners, they often suffer from cracks/breakage. Cast stainless steel components helps with this but also makes it more difficult to get an optimal design. Tubular stainless is a good choice for the heat capacity, so long as you can weld it properly. I would keep it simple, like the 124 example shown. "lanciahf", where did those center "T" sections come from? Are they stainless or mild steel?

The manifold and flanges are stainless, Andrew the welder or more like a tuner provided the cast sections. He builds those 400hp+ Japanese monster motors that kids are fond of these days. He is young and energetic and took on the project. He said to bring the car back when I'm ready and he will do the down pipe.

I'm not looking for crazy power, maybe only 6 psi of boost? Just want to see if I can do it.

Last edited:
I'm not looking for crazy power, maybe only 6 psi of boost?
I have the same goal; low boost (7-9 max) with a small turbo that spools quickly. A simple street engine. If you get the chance to find out where the cast items come from I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I'm on the other side of the country so Andrew won't be able to help directly with mine. But for stainless (especially cast) I'd prefer to use a professional welder over my mediocre skills with my home welder. Thanks

worthwhile reading the techo papers from MHI / garrett / BWTS / IHI on the effects of divided housings on engine breathing (ie deltaP across the cylinder - particularly on overlap). Tis no coincidence that just about every major manufacturer uses this principal on modern designs (focus / evo / scubby / amg / Volvo etc etc etc).

search "weld-el's" !

rgds
simon

The original question is not clearly stated, but I believe he is asking about an exhaust manifold, not an intake manifold.

I've made a few "log" style turbo manifolds... Oilfield pressure fittings... Schedule 80... 1.50" dia. Unless your worried about rust or corrosion, carbon steel is plenty good... Gonna wrap mine in thermal anyways... They actually flow pretty well.

IMG_20170101_173924411.jpg IMG_20170611_172001199.jpg

Ages ago when I first looked into building a turbo application, the common theory was the exhaust flow should be broken up within the manifold with sharp turns, abrupt connections, dead ends, etc. This "log" design (as it was referred to then) was supposed to benefit the turbo's gas flow to the turbine somehow (something about countering pulses or such). So a straight large tube was run the length of the head with short, smaller diameter tubes at 90* from the ports....kind of like this:
images (5).jpg

I never pursued that turbo project and haven't kept up with the latest theories. Now I see many of the more recent manifold designs seem to have gone in the opposite direction, trying to maximize gas flow between the ports and the turbo. Some general examples:
images (1).jpg

images (4).jpg

images (3).jpg

These tend to be most popular for the Asian imports, so I'm not sure if this is mostly for 'style' (looks) or if they have a true design benefit with turbo applications. I'm of the understanding they tend to suffer from cracking, leaking, heat management issues, etc. A turbo is heavy and therefore a lot of weight to be hanging off a bunch of twisted long tubes, vibrating constantly while enduring excessive heat cycles.

The more modern version of the "log" design (like "lanciahf" and "stingray250" have shown) appears to be a much better execution of the earlier theory. The shorter runs, heavier materials, smoother shapes, and simple design should be strong and durable, while offering decent flow and good heat management.

Hope others can offer the current theory on turbo manifold designs. Is achieving maximum, balanced flow the bigger goal, or quick, hot gas transfer to the turbo inlet more beneficial?

Back