What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Wanted to brighten up headlights and lower electrical load, so today I replaced Hella H4 bulbs with LED bulbs picked up at MWB:
23693.jpg

http://www.midwest-bayless.com/Fiat...-h4-led-led-fiat-lancia-all-wh4-bulb-new.aspx

Since I already had the 7" bulbs it was less than 10 minutes to plug and play these. Tight squeeze to angle in to socket but they go in.

MWB also has them with 7" bulbs:
23665.jpg

http://www.midwest-bayless.com/Fiat...-led-led-kit-fiat-lancia-all-w7-bulb-new.aspx

Now have a much better chance of seeing deer and night animals. Actually drove around a rabbit on test drive, saw it coming up out of the left ditch.

The H4s had a yellow tint to them, and the LEDs are white. Took photos in front of barn with camera and phone:

Camera H4.jpg Camera H4Camera LED.jpg Camera LED
Phone H4.jpg Phone H4 Phone LED.jpg Phone LED

Now all exterior bulbs are LEDs.
9 Phone LED 2.JPG

Last edited:
I'd like to share a video...can't seem to load it tho...help ?

You will need to upload it to YouTube, then use the film icon in the header bar when you start a new reply to link it directly to this site.

Videos are too large to upload directly to this site.

Last edited:
Not a LOT of progress. Did not touch the car at all this weekend. Got home from work tonight and started on the valve adjustment. Just purchased a small drawer full of shims and I was able to get them all within specs'.

IMG_1204.JPG

For those with the really good eye's the cam seal is missing. Turns out it is not in the head kit. Ordered one and it arrived today.

IMG_1205.JPG

what is a good way to organize/sort shims so I don't have to lay them all out like this again?

IMG_1207.JPG
IMG_1208.JPG
IMG_1209.JPG
IMG_1210.JPG
IMG_1211.JPG

a few of them had some light surface rust easily went way with a light sanding. I coated all of them in oil.

The last set of bad shim pictures are all the same shim. ? how does this type of damage happen? it was in the recent purchase of shims But I wanted to ask how this might have happened.

There are a few shims with some pitting. I am leaning toward pitching them,? what are peoples thoughts?

Next step I am thinking about making a head tool/socket 17mm head bolts from Bayless.

Some of those shims look like they are trash. I would include any pitted ones in the trash pile also, but others may disagree. It's a judgement call you need to make for your own comfort level. Typically pitted parts will wear quickly so I view them as on their way out. And they could possibly cause accelerated wear on the cam. So why put them in the engine, only to have to go back later and replace them...that's just my view.

Those plastic boxes with a bunch of square dividers works well for storing shims. You can get them in the 'crafts' department of WalMart.
ddc6e959f9c229235dfef98c99b90fc9.jpg

I had a Faza 35-75-75-35 cam that was improperly hardened and I ended up with a bunch of shims that looked like that. There were small spots on the cam that had intact hardened areas but the contact areas were so small that they created enough pressure to carve up the shims. I would definitely trash those shims unless they are the type where you can use either side in which case you could use the good side. However, from the photos they look bad enough out to the edges that they may not seat correctly in the tappet if you did flip them. For ~$4 per shim, I'm not sure I'd fool around with them.

there was only one that had this damage (could not tell how well it showed in the pic) Just very puzzled with how much damage there was.

I guess the gap was too thin and the shim got a lot of rubbing from the cam lobe. Wonder how the cam lobe is looking! But I'm no expert.

I agree with the others. Shims are cheap. In doubt, throw them away. At least, the one you were showing.

Thankfully spring is finally here in NEPA.....so back into the garage.....

Still building a dual DCNF setup.....compiling parts over the winter - manifold, headers, new dizzy, coil.......

have the intake side off (all parts will go up on the FS&W soon).....gulp and charcoal canister (going electric pump)......slowly making progress......

hard to get time in the garage between work and yard work and gutting a bathroom (1 of 3 lol).....but going to get this beast on the road this summer...I hope.....

20180504_125951.jpg

Working on new cooling fans. the Duals are pushing too many amps for my liking. Down side. one of the 2 fans I have is a larger/thicker motor and wont come out without removing the radiator.. trying to get creative. I really dont want to have to remove the radiator. Other than that. things are finally looking up. probably doing a test drive in the next 7 days or so!

Odie

use two bungee cords to hold most of the weight of the radiator, pull its bolts and swing it forward and you have all the room you need.

Had the X out to the car wash. Engine barely turned over when I went to start it. I had rebuilt the transmission over the winter so I checked the engine ground strap and sure enough, I forgot to tighten it up. The next day my wife and I went out for supper and the starter wouldn't crank when we went to leave. She was kind enough to push it so I could get it started. Turns out the wire came off the starter solenoid. The spade connector didn't fit as tight as I would like so I put a new one on, re-sleeved it with heat shrink, and secured it in place with a "P" clip to the end of the M6 starter bolt. Hopefully it will behave itself from now on.

Back