Something’s Leaking - escaping, oil / fluid-wise. Thoughts?

I think I saw where someone said the t-belt did get replaced, but being that car should have 1300 and when the t-belt breaks you will bend valves. I am going to mention it again. Just to be sure and clear.

I liked the video from wheeler/dealer, I was sad to see it removed. I did comment on the video about the t-belt and wondered if that was taken as negativity and contributed to the removal of the video (I hope not)!!

I think I saw where someone said the t-belt did get replaced, but being that car should have 1300 and when the t-belt breaks you will bend valves. I am going to mention it again. Just to be sure and clear.

I liked the video from wheeler/dealer, I was sad to see it removed. I did comment on the video about the t-belt and wondered if that was taken as negativity and contributed to the removal of the video (I hope not)!!
Yup, T-belt replaced. We weren’t allowed to talk until broadcast air date :) The Youtube videos were posted illegaly by somebody, so Discovery Channel tends to frown on that. Motortrend TV Streaming app has ALL Wheeler Dealer episodes available if you subscribe/try the free trial in the U.S.

Yup, T-belt replaced. We weren’t allowed to talk until broadcast air date :) The Youtube videos were posted illegaly by somebody, so Discovery Channel tends to frown on that. Motortrend TV Streaming app has ALL Wheeler Dealer episodes available if you subscribe/try the free trial in the U.S.

and it's like $23 a year for the entire Motortrend show collection and no commercials at all. That is a smokin' deal if you ask me. I bought mine early in 2020.

and it's like $23 a year for the entire Motortrend show collection and no commercials at all. That is a smokin' deal if you ask me. I bought mine early in 2020.
Yeah, I got a free trial, but this show ‘Auto/Biography‘ has me down the rabbit hole to thinking a paid subscription is a good thing. And, I can watch my car every day. lol. Seriously, AB is great, especially ‘The Tale of The Split Enzo’. Who knew?

Second test (yes, the tin foil is now underneath for the future ‘taste test’). Clearly, the leak points are identical. This was taken 24 hours after car was parked yesterday. I’ll be interested to see if those three tiny leaks top right duplicate eventually as well, and the far left.
Fun with fluids.

View attachment 42083

Personally I wouldn’t fret about what you see there at the moment. Keep track of it and keep the fluids up and you will be fine. That is actaully not much oil.

Personally I wouldn’t fret about what you see there at the moment. Keep track of it and keep the fluids up and you will be fine. That is actaully not much oil.
Thanks. Leaking fluids always make me nervous. Ask my doctor. I will have tin-foil color photos later today. One thing though, the left cover on the axle is pretty greasy...

D0EA479B-3226-44C7-A3B5-E7C7FA362F17.jpeg
8EFB0698-FA0B-41C7-B356-538D1C1F67DE.jpeg

Last edited:
A buddy of mine put in dye to isolate his leak. He used a black/ultra violet light to find it. Something like that.

Het did you get a chance to talk to Ant & Mike?

A buddy of mine put in dye to isolate his leak. He used a black/ultra violet light to find it. Something like that.

Het did you get a chance to talk to Ant & Mike?
lol. just Mike. Seemed like a genuine, friendly geezer. But hey, he has used car lots, right? He does bi-weekly chats on the Wheeler Dealers FB page, and that’s pretty much who he is. No hair & makeup squads at the shoot, just cars. Liquid dye - good idea, I’ll ask around...

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Had the WD oil and transmission oil changed today. Both were a little dark. However, the 'escaping' fluids are coming from both the driver's side axel/boot seal possibly, and from somewhere a little higher up near the starter. My local was backed up and didn't have loads of time to investigate today, but is concerned it's coming from the gaskets, which would suck, since I thought, upon purchase, the master mechanics had solved all those issues :)
Is there a way for a novice to check this possibility in the garage without jack stands, other than taking multiple, blind flash photos?

when everything is a little oily it's so hard to tell where it's coming from, so the first step will always be a very thorough degrease and clean.

There are actually only so many places for the oil to escape from, and you need to narrow it down.

dipstick seal and the oil filler cap seal are common favourites... the dipstick seal doesnt come in a gasket set, and some gasket sets simply have the wrong oil filler cap seal in them, if they have it at all. These are wearing rubber parts, as you pull the dipstick weekly/fortnightly to check the oil level...

you can buy UV additive for oils, and using a black light you see where the leak is coming from.

SteveC

when everything is a little oily it's so hard to tell where it's coming from, so the first step will always be a very thorough degrease and clean.

There are actually only so many places for the oil to escape from, and you need to narrow it down.

dipstick seal and the oil filler cap seal are common favourites... the dipstick seal doesnt come in a gasket set, and some gasket sets simply have the wrong oil filler cap seal in them, if they have it at all. These are wearing rubber parts, as you pull the dipstick weekly/fortnightly to check the oil level...

you can buy UV additive for oils, and using a black light you see where the leak is coming from.

SteveC
Thanks, those I can check :) He did suggest the UV additive - who knew? The axel/boot was easy, although without looking underneath the rubber the precise leak area is undetermined.

Last edited:
Back