Something’s Leaking - escaping, oil / fluid-wise. Thoughts?

I would bet one of them is the shift boot to transmission. That is usually one place. Others would be from either an oil plug and/or transmission gasket failing. The one on the far left would be the axle boot, probably a small weep of grease. Looking at the pic again, the one on the right could also be a axle boot to transmission as well, leaking just a little, flowing down the transmission and dropping. The old 4 speed boots do tend to have a very slight weep to them. Just how they work. Later 5 speed fixed this.

I would bet one of them is the shift boot to transmission. That is usually one place. Others would be from either an oil plug and/or transmission gasket failing. The one on the far left would be the axle boot, probably a small weep of grease. Looking at the pic again, the one on the right could also be a axle boot to transmission as well, leaking just a little, flowing down the transmission and dropping. The old 4 speed boots do tend to have a very slight weep to them. Just how they work. Later 5 speed fixed this.
I do believe my local mechanic said something about a cork plug? Suggested I replace it with something different?

Almost any transaxle leak will run to the lowest point and fall from there so its often hard to diagnose a trans leak from where you find the drip on the bottom.

4 speeds will leak from the inner CV boots at the axles and also at the case seal. The other most common leaks are the main shift rod accordian boot and the transmission mount's stud.

Its unusual for the vent to leak unless it is excessively overfilled or excessively over heated (very unlikely in a street car).

Also possible for the main case gasket to leak due to age. 40+ year old case gaskets will lose their resiliency and allow oil to weep through.

The original gear oil will surely appear as brown. New GL1 (factory fill) will appear as almost yellow or a pale brown. Often, fresh gear oil will appear as brown because it accumulated old dirt from the outside of the case as it collected there. Modern synthetics are typically nearly clear unless dyed, which is becoming more common these days.

I do believe my local mechanic said something about a cork plug? Suggested I replace it with something different?

Lets hope you misunderstood the mechanic. I can't imagine where one would put a cork plug, or why.

Regardless, check the fill and drain plugs to ensure they are correct and torqued.

Lets hope you misunderstood the mechanic. I can't imagine where one would put a cork plug, or why.

Regardless, check the fill and drain plugs to ensure they are correct and torqued.
So you've never heard of cork plugs used anywhere on these cars? Sounded weird to me as well...

So you've never heard of cork plugs used anywhere on these cars? Sounded weird to me as well...

Neither heard no seen. And I have built 2 '74s up from a completely bare tub. Also a '77 and an '80. There is no system or component on these cars that I have not seen, handled, assembled, installed or repaired. There is no cork plug unless somebody else put it there.

I usually carry one for the passenger’s use to prevent any involuntary accidents in reaction to my driving...

Most people, so inclined, simply don't ride with me.

WDCR 8-21-16 04.jpg

Even when the axle boots are replaced on a four speed, there can still be a noticeable weep / leak from the axle shaft.... thats the three big (ish) patches IMO

The reason is over the years the seal lip and the oil / grit that forms a bit of a grinding paste, cuts a slight groove in the axle shaft, and even with a new seal of the correct size, oil will still find a way past.

There is a seal availabl;e in that METRIC size but 1mm smaller on the ID... fit a pair of those and you'll likely find the problem will go away... it's axle out though to replace the seal, but that really isn't that big a job, and can be done on jack stands very easily, as long as you have facility / ability to undo the 30mm hub / stake nut (thsat's the tightest most difficult part of the job)

the smaller patch just in from the wheel is likely the brake caliper handbrake seal IMO, best be looking at that sooner than later.

SteveC

Hmmm... if it were my car and I wanted to find the source of a leak I'd:
1. Lift, support and clean (with towels etc) the underside of the car
2. leave it there on the jack stands for the 6 or so days you said
3. once you see a leak, crawl under the car and identify where the leak originated

As others have said, early X1/9's have various places to leak oil:
  • front main seal (where the timing belt / v-belt are)
  • rear main seal (clutch - this was reportedly replaced)
  • transaxle boots - the inner CV joints are "tripod" jobs with the seal being the axle shaft - love to leak there
  • shift boot
  • oil pan
well there are more but the point is to clean the lower bits of your drivetrain then see where it is leaking from. problem is that you can't really drive it during this time so that could be an issue :)

I'll see what I can find out regarding the oil seals. Any ones in specific you're talking about (and such)

Basically all of them. Seals will harden with age allowing leaks or become brittle and break. All original rubber on a nearly 40 year old motor needs to be replaced if you have any hope of it not being in the shop every other month for another oil leak.

Second test (yes, the tin foil is now underneath for the future ‘taste test’). Clearly, the leak points are identical. This was taken 24 hours after car was parked yesterday. I’ll be interested to see if those three tiny leaks top right duplicate eventually as well, and the far left.
Fun with fluids.

F337C2B5-38E3-4786-89F9-35782F96EA17.jpeg

Back