Something’s Leaking - escaping, oil / fluid-wise. Thoughts?

Jeez, buy some jack stands already!!!! Harbor Freight is not the only game in town, all of the chain auto stores have 'em, Walmart has 'em, Amazon and eBay have them by the train load. NAPA has 'em. Look on Craigs or faceBook marketplace, probably a bunch there too.

Jeez, buy some jack stands already!!!! Harbor Freight is not the only game in town, all of the chain auto stores have 'em, Walmart has 'em, Amazon and eBay have them by the train load. NAPA has 'em. Look on Craigs or faceBook marketplace, probably a bunch there too.
Then what will my local tech do for work? I’m having some fun with the exxe, but I’m not at the ‘Girls Garage’ point yet.

I would bet one of them is the shift boot to transmission. That is usually one place. Others would be from either an oil plug and/or transmission gasket failing. The one on the far left would be the axle boot, probably a small weep of grease. Looking at the pic again, the one on the right could also be a axle boot to transmission as well, leaking just a little, flowing down the transmission and dropping. The old 4 speed boots do tend to have a very slight weep to them. Just how they work. Later 5 speed fixed this.
Just had a chat with MWB - they recommended pushing the Axel boots one way or the other to see if there's a bunch of fluid there. Did I hear that right (sorry, everything that happens on this car is entirely new to me from an automotive repair perspective), the boots just slide back and forth on the axel shaft? The other possibility were scored axel shafts, but I'm not sure how to check that possibility.
thanks

One thing to check and I don't think I saw it here is the oil pressure sending unit. From what I understand, they can leak if you so much as look at them wrong. I had a decent sized oil leak. Replaced it. Oil leak cured. It's on the backside of the engine - when viewing it from the back of the car - or another way to say it, it's on the side of the engine that faces the passenger compartment. Oil leaking from there will spread and make it look like it's coming from somewhere else. When you said it looks like it's coming from the starter is what reminded me as it looked like my car was also leaking from the starter area.

Larry

One thing to check and I don't think I saw it here is the oil pressure sending unit. From what I understand, they can leak if you so much as look at them wrong. I had a decent sized oil leak. Replaced it. Oil leak cured. It's on the backside of the engine - when viewing it from the back of the car - or another way to say it, it's on the side of the engine that faces the passenger compartment. Oil leaking from there will spread and make it look like it's coming from somewhere else. When you said it looks like it's coming from the starter is what reminded me as it looked like my car was also leaking from the starter area.

Larry
Thanks, I’ll look there again, but it really does seem to be axel boot area related I think

A33A5355-4782-4B30-9314-F98EE0A98770.jpeg
3B97941E-9A82-4541-B070-9D5A001CCA0B.jpeg

4DCFBA5E-AA64-491F-9784-3AE50ACBEED5.jpeg

Thanks, I’ll look there again, but it really does seem to be axel boot area related I think

View attachment 48132
Could very well be, but the second photo ^^^^ has what looks like a darker side of the oil pan. And the green sheath for the starter wires could have spots of oil on them - or it could be shadows. I can't tell from the photos.

Could very well be, but the second photo ^^^^ has what looks like a darker side of the oil pan. And the green sheath for the starter wires could have spots of oil on them - or it could be shadows. I can't tell from the photos.
Yes, I’m not sure if the dark oil pan is old wear and tear or something nefarious. I think the sheath is getting its oil from the axel boot, in the first photo? At least that’s what I’m hoping...

Yes, I’m not sure if the dark oil pan is old wear and tear or something nefarious. I think the sheath is getting its oil from the axel boot, in the first photo? At least that’s what I’m hoping...
Axle bearing grease is generally (hopefully) not a liquid. That oil on the frame member that runs from back to front looks all too familiar to me. Given the choices, the easier and less expensive repair is replacing the oil light sender unit - http://www.fiatplus.com/OIL-LIGHT-SENDER-SWITCH.html - than it is to repack an axle bearing if some liquid got into it.

Also, I believe @fastx19 was referring to this - the shift boot to transmission: http://www.fiatplus.com/SHIFT-ROD-BOOT-ON-TRANSAXLE.html
x19.jpeg

thanks, i’ll get on it :) But I’ve read the Redline fluid leaks easier than GL-1, so that maybe something too, since I’ve recently changed over to it...

Last edited:
thanks, i’ll get on it :) But I’ve read the Redline fluid leaks easier than GL-1, so that maybe something...
That it does. But from my limited experience, that's when you use Redline transmission fluid in the transmission and not the grease for the axles. Still, the Oil Sender is a much easier and faster repair. From what (again little) I know, it's the same part in the 124 Spiders and they supposedly never go bad in the Spiders. But in an X1/9, if you so much as glance at it funny, it starts to leak.

Larry

That it does. But from my limited experience, that's when you use Redline transmission fluid in the transmission and not the grease for the axles.
Keep in mind that the 4 speed uses inner tripod joints (not CV joints) and the boots are filled with transmission fluid, not grease. The passenger side boot in the photo looks quite damp to me. What does the driver side boot look like? Can you get a better shot of it?

Is the fluid level in the transmission dropping?

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the 4 speed uses inner tripod joints (not CV joints) and the boots are filled with transmission fluid, not grease. The passenger side boot in the photo looks a bit damp to me, but it is hard to tell. What does the driver side boot look like?

The driver’s side was equally as moist, and, has the word FIAT engraved in the rubber. Are replacements still made like that, or would it suggest that it’s rather old? And yes, this is a 4-speed. The passenger side seems to be dripping fluid onto the frame below (photo 1). I’ve mopped and wiped everything down and will take her for a short spin tomorrow and witness what flows next. Matt suggested the axel shafts could also be scored. It‘s a drag there were no parts lists or service records that came with the car, because it would be easier to not be chasing good money after bad, so to speak.

Leaking from the same places as mine, drive shaft boots and the gear selector input shaft boot.
“gear selector input shaft boot”? Is that what Larry linked to just above? How pricey was the 4-wheel alignment? You can PM me if don’t want it public :)

Keep in mind that the 4 speed uses inner tripod joints (not CV joints) and the boots are filled with transmission fluid, not grease. The passenger side boot in the photo looks quite damp to me. What does the driver side boot look like? Can you get a better shot of it?

Ah... I did not know that. I only have experiences with 5-speed X1/9s that leak oil. My '79 has a few oil leaks - the cambox cover and the oil sender were the biggest culprits. My '86 - probably dripped more oil than it burned, but add the cambox to the list of oil leaks.

Larry

“gear selector input shaft boot”? Is that what Larry linked to just above? How pricey was the 4-wheel alignment? You can PM me if don’t want it public :)
Yup, gearbox side of the ‘lollypop’ connection. Given how the steering gaiters on mine where fitted I suspect the boot on mine is either split or has no tie securing it on :rolleyes:

The wheel alignment was £126. They adjusted rear camber and font and rear toe. I have adjustable camber bolts on the rear.

Yup, gearbox side of the ‘lollypop’ connection. Given how the steering gaiters on mine where fitted I suspect the boot on mine is either split or has no tie securing it on :rolleyes:

The wheel alignment was £126. They adjusted rear camber and font and rear toe. I have adjustable camber bolts on the rear.
Ok, all more, new things to learn - again - everyday. lol. I think they charged $125 for a 4-wheel here in Ca., so that sounds about right. Was it done with those laser-attached mechanisms?

Back